A Conversation for Crooked Cottage

Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 1

Gwennie

Hi Mari-Rae! smiley - smiley

Well, I made it then! smiley - smiley Here at last! smiley - bigeyes

Is there any chance of my being able to kip on your sofa tonight my dear? The plumbers seem to have my place upside down at the moment!


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 2

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

Nonsense, Gwen! Bring everything you need and stay in the guestroom for as long as you like. However did you get a plumber to come out? I've been waiting on Bluebottle for two weeks now to install my new dishwasher.


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 3

Gwennie

*Rushes upstairs and throws herself onto Mari-Rae's guest bed and starts to bounce*

Whee! smiley - bigeyes *Grins insanely*

Plumbing? Dishwasher? No problemo!!! smiley - bigeyes

I can fix that! All my years of DIY and living on my own have taught me a bit of plumbing...

Pass the monkey wrench, sweetie! smiley - tongueout


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 4

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

*Passes wrench to Gwennie and watches anxiously as she disappears behind the new dishwasher.*


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 5

Gwennie

*Lots of rummaging, crashing and grinding noises emanate from behind the dishwasher*

Well, that should do it! Do you want to try it out?


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 6

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

*Loads dishwasher with tea things and baking pans. Puts in soap and turns it on. There is a humming, then a crashing, then the dishwasher begins to lurch across the kitchen spraying soapsuds everywhere!! *

Oh no - oh no - oh no!


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 7

Gwennie

*Leaps on top of the dishwasher and tries in vain to pin it down with her immense weight and calls desperately to Mari-Rae*

Switch the power supply off!!!!!

*The dishwasher lurches across the floor and manages to release itself from the plumbing and water starts to spray across Mari-Rae's nice kitchen floor*

H-E-L-P!!!!! smiley - bigeyes


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 8

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

Eeek! Eeek! Eeek!

*Wringing her little gnarled hands in the air, she hesitates with indecision, then grabs the cord and pulls it free of the outlet.*

Gwennie! Are you all right?!!


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 9

Gwennie

I think so...

*Slides off the dishwasher to the floor into a puddle*

Nothing a week on a remote Greek island, an endless supply of retsina and a hoard of young men wouldn't fix. smiley - winkeye

*Produces a huge, wicked grin* smiley - bigeyes

Have you got a floor mop?


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 10

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

Let's have a drink first. Sherry ok for you?


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 11

Gwennie

That would be wonderful, dear. Thank you. smiley - smiley

*Fidgets with her wet behind*

Have you a plastic bin liner I could sit on, please as I seem to have a wet bum? smiley - winkeye


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 12

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

Go and change clothes in my room, there's a sweatsuit hanging on the peg on the closet door. I'll throw your clothes into the washer.

*Sloshes over to the drinks cabinet and takes down a large bottle of sherry and two tumblers. Pours.*


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 13

Gwennie

Thanks! smiley - smiley

*Returns sporting Mari-Rae's sweatsuit (or tracksuit as we call 'em over here smiley - winkeye ), sits down and joins her host in a glass of sherry*

I suppose we ought to clean this mess up! Have you got one of those vacuum cleaners that washes floors? Perhaps we could suck all the water up with it?


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 14

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

As a matter of fact, I do.

*They busy themselves and soon have the kitchen clean again. They sit back down for another tumbler of sherry and regard the dishwasher.*

Maybe Amos could install it.


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 15

Gwennie

What a good idea! smiley - smiley But promise me not to let on about my failed attempt. You know what these men are like when it comes to taking the mickey out of "the little woman's" attempt at DIY!!! smiley - winkeye

Have you got his phone number?


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 16

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

*Dialing*

Its ringing...


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 17

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

Hello? Amos, is that you? I was wondering if you could pop over to my place and install a dishwasher for me? I'm at http://www.h2g2.com/F50623?thread=72789&post=585286 Hello? (covers the phone) Gwennie, I would never tell. I think it was marvelous of you to try it. He's a bit slow answering me.


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 18

Babel17

*from other end of the phone, slightly tinny sounding*
Yes, it be Amos here. Dishwasher yis sais?
Oooh Arrr, ma'am. I cans do thats roight enough. I shall just gather me tools and proceeds promptly likes.
*line goes dead as Amos replaces the handset*


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 19

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

*Replaces handset.*

He's on his way.

*Goes to the refrigerator to make sure she has some beer on hand for Amos.*


Can I sleep on your sofa, please?

Post 20

Gwennie

You'd better get some air freshener out too, as I don't think Amos has any "facilities" in his little shed! smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more