Het Kasteel, Alphen a/d Rijn

3 Conversations

An historical introduction

In the Netherlands, in the middle of the province of Zuid-Holland lies a town called Alphen a/d Rijn. In this town the local youth is always looking for places to go, things to do and people to meet. Just as youthful people do all over the world. In Alphen however, the number of places to visit is pretty limited, so every week it's a matter of finding the proper place to go to.

The main street to have a good time is called Julianastraat(straat=street). This street is lined with pubs, bar-dancings etcetera. Not everybody likes those types of establishment however, so kids started to roam the streets. Or rather, that's how it used to be. In 1972, there were a couple of people who decided it was time for a place where the youth of Alphen could hang out, have a drink and a talk, without the risk of being turned away at the door, without the risk of getting soaking wet in the rain and so on. The name of this place was Midas. It was run entirely by volunteers, something that has never changed since then.

Soon after it was founded, Midas grew to be more than just a place to hang out. The people who ran the place started organising parties for the local youth. They invited bands to come over and play, to make sure they were a force to be reckoned with in the nightlife of Alphen.

Het Kasteel nowadays

At one time in 1982, the decision was made to change the name from Midas to "Het Kasteel", which means "The Castle". At that time, the organisation had become somewhat more structured. A board was installed and everything became a bit more professional. People were hired to take care of everyday things(such as maintaining the beer-supply, writing press-releases and so on).

Also, the number of visiting bands grew, and bigger names turned up in the program. A random list of acts would include The Pretty Things, Finch, John Wetton, Camel, Hans Dulfer, Herman Brood, etcetera. In sync with these bands, some major parties, like the Noise-party (Rock) and Midnight Madness (House) were organised and the number of visitors grew steadily.

People who didn't care much for the usual pubs and disco's, and were looking for a better way to spend their weekend, finally had a local place to go to.

This, by the way is one of the reasons why Het Kasteel is still considered alternative and "not-the-kind-of-place-normal-people-go-to", the infamous opinion of the people who hear all kinds of stories about het Kasteel. Stories about smoking joints, punk-lovers whose only thrill in life is starting trouble and more of that sort.

Where there is smoke, there is fire, of course. People are indeed allowed to smoke a joint (this is also the absolute limit as far as drugs are concerned), and yes, there are punk-lovers in het Kasteel. However, these people are not the only ones who visit.

The people who come to visit Het Kasteel vary from highschool kids having a good time at a Noise-party, to middle-aged people who come to see a band and dance side by side with younger people who just discovered that particular music style. From house-lovers who dance until early in the morning at a Moonlaking-party to over- and underaged hippies who like to party on seventies disco-music at an Easy Tune to people who come to visit on weekdays and just want to have a drink and a talk.

Next to the usual party spirit that is omnipresent, there is also an educational purpose to het Kasteel. Every now and then there are workshops organized to constantly improve the skills of both volunteers and people from outside het Kasteel. Subjects of those workshops vary a great deal, yet they are all in some way connected to things concerning het Kasteel. Some examples are:

  • Video editing

  • PA (has been repeated for a couple of times now)

  • Percussion

  • Creating a dance act

  • Improvising in drama

All these workshops usually last a couple of evenings with a presentation from the coursemembers on the final day

On the whole, Het Kasteel is starting to develop into a centre for music and culture, which is also the reason why the name was changed to "Pop en cultuurpodium Het Kasteel". The organisation itself has also undergone some changes. The board is now supported by a council of volunteers called a "Medewerkersraad". The council functions as the operational side of the organisation, as well as an extra link between the volunteers and the board. Also, there is an entity called the "Mediaraad", a group of volunteers who take care of the PR for het Kasteel. They handle everything, from advertisements to monthly newsletters.

Since Het Kasteel was founded, many people have come and gone. It has seen many changes in the organisation, and now it looks like it is heading towards a more professional way of existence.
One thing that has never changed however, is the fact that Het Kasteel is a place for everybody. All music styles are represented and all people are welcome there. That is probably why it has survived the seventies and it's why it will exist for quite some years on.

For more information, visit the Kasteel-site.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A405541

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more