Venturers

3 Conversations


Venturers are members of the Australian Scouting movement aged 15-18 years old1 who enjoy a wide range of activites both in and outside. Contrary to popular belief, they do not sit around in circles saying "Dyb Dyb Dyb, Dob Dob Dob", and they rarely help little old ladies across roads. A Venturer Unit is much more likely to be found rock-climbing, abseiling, or hiking, or sitting in an old Scout Hall somewhere plotting their next devious attempt to take over the world...or their local communities, whichever the case may be.

Unit Council


The Venturer Unit is run by the Unit Council, an elected group of youth members who manage and run the program by taking into account the interests of the other Venturers, as well as the time and money restrictions placed on the individual.
Fundraising plays a large part in any Venturer Unit, with events such as Raffles, BBQ's, and Car Washes regular occurances, to raise money for the activities undertaken.
A Venturer Unit in central Victoria regularily helps out at Superkart meets by Flag Marshalling*, which while earning the Unit $200 each time they attend, is giving the Venturers an opportunity to earn their CAMS* Licences.

Badgework


One of the main components of Venturers is badgework - although Venturers do not necessarily have to apply themsleves in this area. Everything goes towards the Queens Scout badge - the highest award a youth member can acheive.The Queens Scout Badge is divided up into 4 different areas; Community Involvement, Adventurous Activities, Personal Growth and Leadership Development. Each area aims at extending the knowledge a Venturer already has in each area, and exposing them to new activities and ideas.
Each area has a certain number of activities that must be completed in order to be awarded the diamond for that area.

    Community Involvement
  • Citizenship - An active examination of some aspects of community affairs, anabling Venturer Scouts to see better their involvement in community life.
    At least four activities of at lest 2.5 hours duration.
  • Environment - Encouraging Venturer Scouts to become more aware of the natural and man-made environment, and to consider the effects of environmental changes on the quality of life.
    At least 20 hours.
  • First Aid - Unergo recognised basic training in First Aid and emergencies.
    10 hours.
  • Service - Introducing Venturer Scouts to the needs of peopal in the community and to ways in which some of these are met.
    At least 30 hours.
    Adventurous Activities
  • Initiative Activity - Initiative in Venturer language is self-starting power, an ability to get up and go, without being told what to do. It's recourcefulness, working out what the problem is, figuring out the best way to tackle it, then going ahead on your own.
    At least 10 hours, usually a whole weekend.
  • Expeditions 1 - Encouraging the development of a spirit of outdoor adventure and a sense of determination, through participation by a small group in a well-planned expedition, having previuosly completed appropriate training.
    At least 2 days, walking 6-8 hours a day, although it is usually 4 days. Can also be a canoe hike, bike hike, or other such journey.
  • Outdoor 1 - Encourage Venturer Scouts to develop existing interests or to undertake new recreational activities. The outdoor activity may be a hobby or something entirely new and may be followed individually or with a group.
    At least 10 hours.
  • Expeditions or Outdoor 2 - Taking a leadership role, or becoming more envolved in an activity that meets the same requirements as level 1 - a common idea is to organise and lead a hike.
    Personal Development
  • Expressions 1 - Providing for the development of an artistic appreciation through active participation.
    At least 10 hours.
  • Lifestyle 1 - An introduction for Venturer Scouts to physcical activities so that through participation they may show an increase in physical profiency and general fitness over a period of time.
    At least 10 hours.
  • Ideals 1 - Through an exploration of moral, social and religious customs and teachings to encourage Venturer Scouts to find out about themselves, better understand their relationships with other people ad to discover for themselves what is involved in the acceptance of the Promise and law
    At least 10 hours.
  • Pursuits 1 - Encourage Venturer Scouts to develop existing interests or to undertake new recreational activities. The outdoor activity may be a hobby or something entirely new and may be followed individually or with a group.
    At least 10 hours
  • Expressions, Lifestyle, Ideals or Pursuits 2 - Extending on the level 1 area and taking on more of a ledership role
    At least 30 hours.
    Leadership Development
    The completion of this diamond will leave the Venturer eligible to recive the Certificat 2 in youth Leadership.
  • Unit Management - Participation in a one day activity covering topics such as roles and responsibilities of leaders and Unit Executive; planning organisation and control; cnstitutional matters and beyond the Unit.
    8 hours course + 6 hours application.
  • Leadership - Participate in a practical theory weekend covering aspects of leadership such as planninng, organisation, decision making, communication, delegation and co-operation.
    16 hour course + 10 hours application.
  • Vocations - An active examination of some aspects of employment opportunities enabling Venturer Scouts to better understand the roles and responsibilities in a range of vocations.
    25 hours.
1The next age group up from Scouts

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A403093

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more