A Conversation for Libertarianism

Police

Post 1

hagbard

Interesting entry.

Could you add something about how Libertarians think about enforcing their laws? I'm particularly interested in what kind of police force will be used, what it will be authorized to do, and how it will be funded.


Police

Post 2

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Libertarians are about getting the government out of things they shouldn't be involved in. However, policing is one thing that they SHOULD be involved in... how could you possibly have a fair legal system if your police force is a private entity? You may have discovered one area where Libertarians are satisfied with the status quo, although the public does need to be alert to abuses like in Los Angeles.


Police

Post 3

hagbard

So how are they going to fund the police? Taxes?


Police

Post 4

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Most likely. The Libertarians want to eliminate all taxes, but I see them never pulling it off. In a Libertarian's perfect world, though, the government would be financed through trade duties, just as it was for most of the US's history. That would include the police. You could say that the police would receive funds generated from fines and citations, but that would make it all too tempting for police to start issuing spurious citations.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more