Hitchhiker Movie Review Four

0 Conversations

h2g2 Film <br/>
Banner by Fairydoodler

Those that know me well are probably aware that I've never been the biggest fan of HHGTTG, but Odo and I felt morally obliged to go and see the film. I suspect nearly everyone will have a Journal Post a bit like this, so here's my 2 cents, for what that's worth (just over a penny, I think).

First of all, this is a film made by fans, for fans. It is a fans' movie.

I cannot it my wildest dreams envision a non-reader of the book(s) going to see this film and getting the slightest enjoyment (or comprehension) out of it whatsoever. For fans, of course, there are tons of references to the original books, radio and TV series. I suspect if I went back again, I'd see even more that I missed the first time.

Martin Freeman is excellent as Arthur - I always had suspicions he would be; Rockwell is passably good as Zaphod; and Zooey Deschanel is a huge improvement on Sandra Dickinson as Trillian. Not only does she look intelligent, she sounds intelligent, and is pretty stunning in a pair of blue boxers and argyle socks.

Mos Def is not good. He spends most of the film being a bit incomprehensible, and the rest acting-by-numbers. Shame.

On the flipside, the Guide is excellent - Stephen Fry is very credible, and several of the animations are hilarious. Stealing the whole show, of course, is the excellent Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast.

I think we all knew that a faithful adaptation of the book would make for some pretty dull cinema, and the plot extensions were on the whole very apt and Adams-esque, even if the ending was a bit twee. The Vogons were given more lease and were hilarious. Marvin I found a bit disappointing, despite the voice of Alan Rickman.

The film is visually absolutely stunning, and the music is great too - I'll be buying a copy of the soundtrack if only for the 'So Long...' song.

So, a few downs but on the whole a jolly good experience. And this coming from someone who usually hates the pictures.

Master B

05.05.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A4006991

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more