A Conversation for Moshing and Moshers

Peer Review: A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 1

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

Entry: Moshing and Moshers - A3973502
Author: Hussassan (not Husuan or Hussain)aka Kazinishi ka-Warumoto: The a n t i - n i g h t h o o v e r - U200779

I didn't intend this thing to be QUITE so long, but you know how entries can grow in the writing...


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I guess when I remember the mosh pits from when I was younger, I remember a lot of things like people getting tossed around above the crowd, and body surfing, and people jumping from a balcony into the mosh pit. I'm not sure, though, if those were common to moshing in general, or just the crazy people where I was. smiley - winkeye


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 3

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

Ah yes, I forgot about body surfing. It is quite common, though I have never seen it in person. I'll just update the entry now...


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 4

Excal2810

nice entry smiley - ok


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 5

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Not entirely disimiliar to pogoing, an activity punks used to partake of smiley - smiley


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 6

Mu Beta

Love it. smiley - ok

B


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 7

Skankyrich [?]

Great work!

How about mentioning stage-diving? A dying art admittedly, but worth a mention!

Your footnotes need to go immediately after a word; yours seem to have a tendency to slip past the punctuation.

Most of the biker population of the country is over 35, you know - a significant proportion of moshers smiley - smiley

I'm not sure about the 'Attitudes' section either. Most of it seems to be generalisations that don't necessarily hold true. To be honest, it would be a better entry without this section; for example, a lot of Rage Against The Machine's fanbase have traditionally had an interest in politics and protest, following Zack's example. My local teenage moshers certainly don't stop drinking when they're getting tipsy. The dancefloor fills in my local rock club when Avril Lavigne comes on, etc. However, they do seem to be very good at stealing my pints and, on ocasion, my tobacco tin smiley - laugh So I think this section is largely specific to the group of moshers you know, and is about the only weak point in your whole entry.

But all in all, it's a great job!

smiley - stout


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 8

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

I had already mentioned stage diving in the body surfin subsection, though I didn't refer to it by name.

Footnotes have been fixed, bikers have been mentioned, attitudes subsection has been removed.


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 9

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Jumping is more properly referred to as pogoing.

You also forgot Chicken Dancing (madly flailing in time to the music with the intent of causing injury to yourself and others.)


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 10

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Oh, and 'circular moshing' is actually called 'windmilling' or 'roundhouse'.

Pedantic? Me? smiley - tongueout


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 11

DaveBlackeye

I thought headbanging and moshing were different things? Moshing being the proper term for the chicken dance referred to by my Mr Dreadful while simultaneously bouncing off each other and possibly headbanging too. Of course I could be out of touch, and this could be what is known as slam dancing. Anyhow, imagine the molecules in a hot gas, and the effect the hot spot has on the cooler sourrounding areas (i.e. the more passive crowd). Your comment about moshers being more densely packed isn't necessarily true; moshers take up more space than non-moshers and will expand and compress the crowd behind them.

In my day the headbanging injury of choice was whiplash rather than a headache, giving a stiff neck for up to a week.

Body surfing is also (used to be?) known as crowd surfing.

You could mention the circle-pit, where the moshing group retreats to form the edges of a circle during a slow bit (or when asked to by the band), further compressing the non-moshers, just so they can come together with greater momentum when the music speeds up again.
smiley - cool


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 12

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

All points mentioned since my last post to this thread have been worked in, except for the bit about moshers being the least dense people in the concert hall. While moshers do take up the most space, this is mainly because they tend to outnumber the non-moshers, not becaus there is a lot of space between them.


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 13

Skankyrich [?]

Brilliant! Thank you very much for listening and responding so quickly to comments, I see this having a smooth ride to the Guide smiley - ok

Just one small typoo:

>it is nowadays uncommon for a band mmber to try this - member


Great work and good luck with it!

smiley - cheers


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 14

YalsonKSA - "I'm glad birthdays don't come round regularly, as I'm not sure I could do that too often."

Good entry. I also think that you make too many generalisations with the descriptions of the kind of people who indulge in moshing, though. I realise that it may have been intended as a partially humourous entry, but as a genuine phenomenon I think you should show that anyone can get involved. I go to a lot of gigs, and you see kids (and adults) of all stripes in the moshpit. Not all have piercings and not all of the girls wear goth makeup.

You might also want to mention the dangers and have a specific section about moshpit etiquette, plus links to any musical genres involved, if they have h2g2 entries (metal, punk, indie etc.) Perhaps a short section on alternative subcultures you might find in the moshpit might be in order, including skaters, punks, metalheads, indiekids, goths and the rest.

Actually, that sounds more like an entry in its own right.

smiley - biggrin


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 15

Jayne Austin


Interesting article! smiley - ok

I have to disagree with headbanging being the "oldest" form of moshing; I was slam-dancing and doing the Pogo in the 1970's, and don't remember seeing anyone ever headbang 'til heavy metal arrived in the early 80's.

When "moshing" first became popular here in Arizona (USA), people actually "skipped" around in a circle slamming into each other. Is this "old school", or was it just local, do you think?

BTW - while moshing in stiletto heels is difficult, it's not impossible; I've done it smiley - evilgrin


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 16

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Headbanging does predate slamdancing and pogoing.

Just watch any of the old Black Sabbath Beat Club performances (from 1970 or 1971 I think) they sometimes show on VH-1.


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 17

Jayne Austin


LOL! That's what I get for never having been a big Black Sabbath fan!!! smiley - rofl


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 18

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

Well, I'm a bog Sabbath fan but I've never seen any of that, oh well...

"Good entry. I also think that you make too many generalisations with the descriptions of the kind of people who indulge in moshing, though. I realise that it may have been intended as a partially humourous entry, but as a genuine phenomenon I think you should show that anyone can get involved. I go to a lot of gigs, and you see kids (and adults) of all stripes in the moshpit. Not all have piercings and not all of the girls wear goth makeup."

Good point. How about if I change the subheader to 'A General Guide to Identifying Moshers'?

"You might also want to mention the dangers and have a specific section about moshpit etiquette, plus links to any musical genres involved, if they have h2g2 entries (metal, punk, indie etc.) Perhaps a short section on alternative subcultures you might find in the moshpit might be in order, including skaters, punks, metalheads, indiekids, goths and the rest."

This IS an entry on moshers, but I suppose the rest of the mix would be worth mentioning. As for etiquette, I'm not sure there is any beyond pulling up anyone who falls.


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 19

Skankyrich [?]

>Well, I'm a bog Sabbath fan


Time to come out of the (water) closet? smiley - laugh


A3973502 - Moshing and Moshers

Post 20

Jayne Austin


smiley - yikessmiley - rofl


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more