A Conversation for The Gurus' Home Page

computers

Post 1

kev0072

hi there,
iv been told off my ace that you may be able to help me, every time i start my pc i get an error page coming up, it reads
"A FATAL EXCEPTION ERROR .OE HAS OCCURED @0028:CO2E303E IN VXD PTVCD (04) + 0000066E" when iv tried to find these files it tells me "ABROWSER" OR "APROGRAM" CAN NOT BE LOCATED"
as i am new to all this pc and web stuff i realy am in trouble as i dont have a clue and would proberbly make things worse if i tried anything, also somtimes i cant load windows stuff up because my pc tells me it cant find the browser.....please can some one help me......kev0072


computers

Post 2

SEF

A "VxD" is a virtual device driver and "PTVCD" is apparently the one for a PCTell modem. Presumably this means you have such a modem and naturally the browser program needs to use it and can't if the driver file is faulty in some way - hence the error message.

Having just checked, according to the MicroSoft Knowledge Base the driver needs to be uninstalled or the Windows registry modified by hand. I do not recommend you try editing the registry if you are not familiar with it as you can do a lot more harm there! Posting off-site links doesn't always work so I suggest you try to search for this site yourself and read the instructions. If you believe this matches your problem you might want to find an expert near you to help.


drivers

Post 3

kev0072

the problem is that i cant find the driver to uninstall it, would it help if i got rid of my internet conection program (blue yonder) and reinstall the disc????


drivers

Post 4

Pastey

If you go into "Start" menu, "Settings", "Control Panel" and choose "System" then the "Device Manager" tab you'll get a list of all the hardware on your machine, select the modem, and click "Remove".

Then, shut your computer down and restart it. I'm guessing that you're running Windows if you've got a PC and are new to it.

Have your Windows disk handy in case it asks for it as it reboots. What will happen is that Windows will see the modem, and the fact that it's not registered, and then set it up for you again, with any luck.

smiley - rose


windows

Post 5

kev0072

i dont have a windows disc, so will windows still run after iv uninstalled the moden and will i have to reinstall my blue yonder disc????


windows

Post 6

Pastey

How was windows put on your machine originally?

If it came preinstalled from a shop, then you won't need a disc, as all the files needed will be on your hard drive somewhere, and Windows will know where to find them.
If it came from a bloke you know, then you may need to see them to get the disc.
If it goes wrong, set it as a Standard Modem.

smiley - rose


cheers

Post 7

kev0072

im trying to get hold of a windows 98 disc and i will try that, thanks for all you help and time.....kev0072


cheers

Post 8

kev0072


cheers

Post 9

Pastey

No worries smiley - smiley

smiley - rose


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more