A Conversation for Greece

No Subject

Post 1

Ariadni (Keeper of Dolphins and Cinnamon Incense)

Very nice indeed. I really laughed. Most of the things you are mentioning are absolutely true. I only have a couple of spelling observations. I would write Socrates (just as I did and not with a k).
I would also avoid using the word pub in anything that has to do with Greece, not for any other reason but since I have been staying for the last 3 years in England I feel there is nothing coming even remotely close to a pub in Greece. You wouldn't want to set any kind of wrong expectations now would you? And another thing... How about using the word "taverna" (pl. "tavernas") for the Greek restaurants?

I promise I will read it again and let you know if I find anything else. I am unsure myself on what the correct spelling of Pelloponeese is (I have been using it in the "Location of Olympia" forum entry).

It is also strange that if I use the engine to search for Greece it only gives me the "Statue of Zeus" entry and not anything else. I did not see any "Greece" entries in your User page (either yesterday or today). It was only the specific path from the search that you gave me that worked.

Thanks a lot,
Talk to you soon.
Ariadni


still no subject

Post 2

Fafnir

Dear Ariadni

Thank you very much for your reply and for your suggestions to improve that article about Greece

I have just asked my dictionary if it could tell me something about the spelling of "Socrates" and "Pelloponees", but it didn´t tell me anything interesting. I just tried to translate the spelling of Socrates from Greek to Latin letters. Due to the fact that there is no "c" in the Greek Alphabet I thought, that a "kappa" is just a "k". On the other hand the English do really spell Sokrates Socrates (or at least I read something about something else being socratic). I am very sorry to have no Greek letters available and I think I will change the spelling of some words in my article.

As for the pubs: I think you are right, and since I have not yet been to England and only once to Greece, I suppose that you know much better than me if there is any place in Greece that might be compared to anything pub-like. I did not really want to use the word pub, but I could not think of any other word meaning about as much as tavern and I didn´t want to repeat one word too many times within that single paragraph (Do you really think that the word "taverna (pl. tavernae)" is better than "tavern" smiley - winkeye ? ). I just solved this problem calling the former pub etablissement, which should do well. P.S. This paragraph may appear twice. This does not mean that it is so immensely important, but only shows that I still don´t know everything about this guide-enty-writing-machine.

It is not strange, that you did not find the article using the search engine. This engine only finds the official guide entries. I have submitted the article, but it has not yet been "considered for rejection". And since the search engine does unfortunately find one entry containing the word "Greece" it does not offer the opportunity to search among user pages or forum entries. I wonder that you did not find the article on my home page. All user pages I have written so far are listed at the bottom of my home and the article about Greece is among them.

I hope you did not wait too long for my answer, but in Germany we are just having some free days (not really holiday, but at least no courses at the university) and I was gone to visit my parents.
Thank you very much for your writing,

Richard


Your name is Richard?

Post 3

Dizzy H. Muffin

This is all very interesting, because I've started a new, even /more/ unintelligible forum than this one.

smiley - fish[
http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=16034&thread=13881
]smiley - fish

Be sure to look at the first three posts in order. And if anyone can explain to me what a technoblob is, don't hesitate to post.
smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more