A Conversation for Vindication of the Rights of Animation

Cartoons - the Worst are Unbearable, but the Best are Brilliant

Post 1

The Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase

Hi, yep, good points. But if I turn on the TV at four o'clock the afternoon the chance is about 100% that the cartoon showing will be the most intolerable drivel ever concocted by the most warped minds to be found among the twisted inhabitants of this diseased planet. I mean some of the stuff is nightmarish. Worse than listening to Rosie Perez while she's talking.

The less said about BAD cartoons, the better. Why isn't there a "smily" for "absolutely uncontrollable heeby-jeebies"?

But there are some good cartoons around, like the Simpsons, Futurama, Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, Animaniacs and so on, that actually have some intellectual content, good jokes and original animation. Can you recommend any others?


Cartoons - the Worst are Unbearable, but the Best are Brilliant

Post 2

Almighty Rob - mourning the old h2g2

I really don't think there *is* such a thing as a bad cartoon - although many people find them unbearable, I can watch any cartoon constantly.

As for some good cartoons with intellectual content, I find that anything designed for both children and their parents is good. How about Rugrats or something like that?

And then there are the artsy-fartsy cartoon shorts like those on Robin & Friends...


Cartoons - the Worst are Unbearable, but the Best are Brilliant

Post 3

The Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase

Never seen Rugrats. Don't get much time to watch TV or go to movies nowadays.

But anyways, I happen to be a very sensitive soul. There is lots of music I can't bear listening to, lots of books I can't stand reading, lots of foods I can't tolerate, and lots of cartoons I can't make myself watch! And one entire genre that rubs me the wrong way: advertisements!

That's just the way I am!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more