An African Adventure: Birdmen of Africa - Part One

0 Conversations

This is the first time that the Knolly Estate has allowed the great man's memoirs to be published. What follows is the seventh chapter of 'The African Adventure'.

Birdmen of Africa 1

The next thing I recall is waking up in bed with a very sore head. I was still dressed and was alone so, although Bertie had packed a hefty punch, he hadn't followed it up by then setting me up with
one of the girls, their 'toys' or even Clarissa's *gulp* python. I looked in the mirror over the wash basin. The whole of the left side of my face had taken on elephantine proportions. Suddenly I heard a loud
whooshing noise and a great cheer went up from round the back... the
balloon. I rushed out the door and downstairs taking them three at a time and flung open the door to the stable. There, bathed in the bright African sunlight, was the fully inflated canopy resplendent with assorted sequinned patches and a huge tableau showing the majority of Kites' acts.

'Amazing, Bertie, truly amazing... you got it up.'

'Well I had some help...' he replied at which Felicity beamed and her friends giggled.

Trying not to blush too scarlet I continued 'Will it fly though... can we get to the Cape on it?'

'Should do, but we'll need to travel light. We need to get as high as possible. I've been down to the Harbour Master this morning to see what the weather's doing and we should be getting the right wind
to blow us to the South this week.'

'Bertie, you're a brick!'

'Funnily enough that's exactly what I hit you with.' he smiled. 'Come on up and I'll show you how your "big experiment" works.'

I climbed up onto the wagon to which the basket was still tethered. It was certainly a fine sight to see.

'So, Bertie, when did you start on this eh?'

'We started after breakfast, Mr Knolly.' chimed in Felicity popping out of the basket like a jack-in-a-box. 'Aint she gorgeous. I can't wait to go up in her once more. I think I'll even wear that old costume I found. What do you think Bertie?' I looked at Bertie who smiled a thin smile.

'Why don't you and the girls go and help Mrs Grey rustle up some tea and a bite to eat for us eh? Knolly and I have to go over how this thing works. Off you go now.' Giving her a playful tap on the bottom as he helped her out of the basket.

Once she and the others had all trooped indoors he proceeded to explain the mechanics of ballooning as he saw them. To me there seemed to be lots of up tiddly up up and down tiddly down downs, pulling of strings and throwing stuff over the side as far as I could make out.

After he finished he said 'Sorry I hit you so hard, but at least it kept you out of the way. So tell me how are we going to keep her away from the launch site?'

'I spoke to Mrs Grey yesterday, at least I think it was yesterday, about it and she said she'd help. What I think we need to do is organise a going away bash in the saloon, find someone for her to share the night with, no, not you old fruit and then high tail it inland to wherever we intend to launch from.'

Bertie coughed. 'After I slugged you I went for a walk and got talking to one of those little Hottentot chappies. He says he'll act as a guide and take us out into the desert later today to look for such a spot.'

'Good for you, Bertie.' I looked back towards the saloon. 'Come on, now. Stiff upper lip and all that, here comes Felicity with some food by the looks.'

Sitting by the balloon we chatted for a while and munched on some sort of meat sandwiches, how my jaw hurt. Then leaving Bertie and Felicity to let the heat escape from the canopy and begin planning the leaving party, I returned to my room by way of the scullery with as large a block of ice as I could find.

On my way I passed Mrs Grey on the stairs.

'She tells me she'll be off later this week then.'

'That's right.' I replied 'I thought we'd arrange a leaving party to keep her occupied, allowing as to get away. What do you think?'

'Sure, it will be a grand to-do. Let me know when exactly, though, as it will take some getting together.'

'I will. Thank you, Mrs Grey, and now I must retire and get this swelling down. Can you ask Mr Harrison-Harrison to wake me in a couple of hours.'

She nodded and we continued on our separate ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hit the pillow and was off. I seem to remember having an odd dream about a great flying ship armed to the teeth with cannons being tormented by other strange flying machines I'd once seen
as sketches by Leonardo da Vinci but I blame whatever that meat was. I
awoke to hear a faint knocking on my door followed by Bertie bursting in.

'Knolly, how you feeling? Our guide's waiting and I've got Mrs Grey's buggy all ready and waiting.'

'Ugh!' I replied. 'Let me sink my head in a bucket and I'll be with you. Got your rifle ready... just in case?'

'Sure have... come on then.'

I thrust my head into the basin and poured luke warm water over it. Then, coming up dripping, grabbed my coat and slouch hat and followed Bertie downstairs to meet our guide.

The Great Knolly Archive

The Shepherd and
huzzah4knolly

21.04.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3923309

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more