A Conversation for Misrepresentation?

Good on ya

Post 1

Rocket Rod

Now there's a film I'd like to see. But don't forget about the rest of the British Empire. We A.N.Z.A.C's played our part too (though you'd never it know from hollyweird). So, good one mate, but I do believe that I can hear claws being sharpened over the other side of the Pacific (specially after the bubba joke). I look forward to the lively forum this article will produce.
smiley - winkeye
Rocket


Good on ya

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Rocket we can take some solace in the fact that another American movie, The Patriot, shows the heroes of the Revolution to be a pair of Australians?

One would hope any discussion in this forum would discuss the issues not the man....


Good on ya

Post 3

Bumblebee

Re: The Guns on Navarone.
The cliff that posed in that film is on the south-east side of the isle Rhodos, Greece.
Below there's a bay with wonderful clear water.The locals refer to it as "Gregory Peck Beach".


Good on ya

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

Hear Hear, well said and all that. But (and I hate to say this) maybe if the British film industry wasn't dying in the water maybe we could have shown it how it really was (the History channel did an excellent documentary on the Enigma machine - which showed just how petty the Americans were about it). Maybe Nick Park could be persuaded for his next Dreamworks project.....


Good on ya

Post 5

Gwennie

Well done, for an excellent article, Looneytunes!!! smiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyes *shakes hand thoroughly* You took the words right out of my mouth!!! smiley - smiley

I was watching the Parliament Channel when that question arose, and listened to subsequent debates of the subject on BBC Radio 4.

By the way, Bumblebee that beach on Rhodes, when I was there, during the 1970's was a nudist beach... smiley - smiley I'm sure Mr. Peck would have been proud to expose his "pecker". (Sorry, I couldn't help myself! smiley - winkeye )


Good on ya

Post 6

Bumblebee


It was empty when I was there (1999) but I think they were planning to build a hotel there.
But now that you mention it, there was some nude people on some rocks nearby.

I shall stop talking about this now.
smiley - smiley


Good on ya

Post 7

Sho - employed again!

Look this isn't fair. You lot get to see naked people, I get to see the History channel........ sniff, *feeling left out of everything*


Good on ya

Post 8

Bluebottle

I haven't seen anything, not even the History Channel - but I definately agree that Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Poland, Czechoslovakia and all other nations involved in the war are being continually insulted by America's arrogant self-centred view of the war.


Good on ya

Post 9

Munchkin

Nick Park's version would be pretty weird. Mind you, he does get a dig in at this sort of thing in Chicken Run (The Old RAF rooster with his "They turn up late to all these shows")

Tell you what, lets all go off and watch Zulu, see if we can spot any digital watches. Or perhaps Das Boot.


Good on ya

Post 10

Bluebottle

Both are great films, we definately must watch them - but remember to watch ANZACs and Gallipoli for an Australian view of the Great War. smiley - smiley


Good on ya

Post 11

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

....or more accurately, to watch incompetent Pom generals watching NZ and Aus soldiers being mowed down by the Turks because the British Admiralty (First Sea Lord Winston Churchill) sent the ships, which landed the ANZAC heroes, to the wrong place


Good on ya

Post 12

Bluebottle

Thus proving that the English Generals are just as effective at killing men from different countries as they are at sending Brits over the line in the trenches...

The generals on all sides during that war were brainless... Probably from drinking all that champagne so far from where any battle was going on.


Good on ya

Post 13

Munchkin

Probably half the problem was that, for a hundred years people kept saying "You know, Napoleonic tactics are a bit old now, maybe you should change". And yet, they kept working, Ulundi and Omdurman (I think) being prime examples. Thus it took them a while to change, when these tried and tested methods failed. Of course, this doesn't quite explain why the Americans piled in with the old tactics in 1917. Hadn't they been reading the papers?


Good on ya

Post 14

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

I can see why all the fuss... in the wake of some recent Hollywood exaggerations with actual historic value (Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart, Titanic) this movie comes along. If it was openly billed as historical fiction, there would be no problem. But most people won't know the difference, and Hollywood didn't care to make the distinction.

Still, you can hardly blame the makers for making the heroes locals... if anyone else made movies worth exporting, they'd do the same. Or is not the UK the hero of every Bond flick?


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Misrepresentation?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more