Earth - in 264 words

0 Conversations

The Earth is a small, mostly harmless, blue-green planetoid, third in a nine-planet system orbiting a wholly unremarkable G2 star called, imaginatively enough by the occupants of said planet, the “Sun”. The dominant species is a carbon based bi-pedal mammal whose main occupations are recreation, domination, procreation, being entirely contradictory and illogical, and watching and dissecting soap-operas/reality TV.

Despite having an abundance of soaring mountain ranges, deep azure oceans, verdant forests (tropical to temperate) and vast deserts, the human race seems intent on covering as much of the earth as possible with varying forms of concrete and tarmacadam, using ever larger off-roaders on the treacherous school run, flying to ever more exotic and far-away holiday destinations and then complaining about their guilt that the environment is in such a state, and why won’t someone do something about it?

The earth is split into five (or for the more generous, seven) continents, subdivided into countries. Disputes between countries lead to wars, famine, pestilence, and in very serious cases into sports events (see world cups, Olympics). Sometimes, in the extreme examples, wars are started over sports events (see refereeing decisions).

The current tenants of the earth are relatively short-term lease-holders having only really been in occupation for 150,000 years and the planet being roughly 3.8 billion years old. In that time, continents have collided, split-up, wandered off, pirouetted, frozen, subducted and erupted with little or no apparent thought for the then inhabitants (see mass extinctions). Many deeper thinkers have concluded that the latest of these is surely overdue given the habits of the incumbent dominant species.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3822905

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more