A Conversation for Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

The Placename / Province / Nation Convention Falls Apart...

Post 1

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Do the editors of the Hitchhiker's Guide have a decision on what to call the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador? Now that I've gotten around to adding more Labrador entries, this may be an important decision.

If you just call it "Newfoundland", boy will you annoy the Labradorians. If you call it "Newfoundland and Labrador", this leads to confusing titles such as "Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada", which is why I avoided this in the first place. If you call it "Province of Newfoundland and Labrador", this leads to entries whose titles fall off the right end of the page. And I've noticed tonight that H2G2 is having trouble with this; it doesn't wrap its titles well.

The common usage seems to be "Newfoundland and Labrador". I'll try to adhere to this in my new entries.


Key: Complain about this post

The Placename / Province / Nation Convention Falls Apart...

More Conversations for Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more