A Conversation for Slayerville

Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest

Post 1

Bud_White

Well, since these two episodes have been shown on ch.5 now, I thought I'd give them a re-watch today (quite the chore, I really had to force myself to do itsmiley - smiley), and post a few comments (not really a proper review). Please feel free to add your own coments, and/or hijack the thread for your own reviewssmiley - smiley.

Well, the first thing I thought about was the wonderful economy of dialogue Whedon displays even in the first episode, a talent that stood him well right up until Chosen. By the end of WTTH, the characters are already well established and rounded, and basic plot/exposition issues are dealt with fairly briefly. A good platform is already set by the end of the second episode for the rest of s.1. All this is achieved in only 2 episodessmiley - smiley.

It is undeniable, for me at least, that BtVS really started showing its true scope in Prophecy Girl - the rest of s.1 is excellent but doesn't have the same ambition or thematic and season arc drive later seasons would come to develop. And the first 2 episodes are symptomatic of that.

That said, even at this stage, there is real subtlelty and character growth on display - key being Xander's reaction to Jesse's death. But also worthy of note is the confrontation between Giles and Buffy in the library after the body is discovered at school - issues of duty, responsibility, burden and freedom already being shown, issues which would, of course, come to a head in the season finale.

That's most of my thoughts for now. Just for the record, my preference is for WTTH - the pace seems to me slightly better, and The Harvest on occassions (due to necessity rather than inability) is a little over-expositional. That said, the climactic fight between Buffy and Luke is excellent - in execution, and also inasmuch as it is very typical of fights, and the show, generally - elements of the conventional in the fight, but with a touch of self-awareness and tongue firmly in cheek in the manner Buffy eventually wins.

Anyhow, enough for now, methinks. I might make this a weekly occurrence - at the very least, it gives me a good excuse to re-watch all the episodessmiley - smiley. And I'm looking forward to next week - The Witch is a personal favourite.


Key: Complain about this post

Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more