English

1 Conversation

English is a beautiful language. OK so the French say that theirs is more poetic, the Italians believe theirs is more romantic, the Spanish more passionate and the Germans, -- what do they think of their language?:-) Of course English is all of these because it is a blend of all of these and more.
English, like most European languages has its roots in Latin and Greek. It is, however, spiced with Gaelic as well as Garlic. Centuries of invasion by Danes and Saxons, Normans and Romans, Vikings and Goths all added flavour and colour. In the great days of English exploration and colonisation the language was taken all around the world where it rooted and grew. Soon the explorers returned and people from these far cultures visited and settled here bringing words and phrases which were absorbed into English.
From the roots to the branches! As it has many origins so has it many variations. The local dialects just add more colour. From the soft warm West country burr to the hard clipped vowels of Geordie land, from jolly Cockney to witty Scouser, from Norfolk to Brum these are the true glory of the English rose.
Internationally, so the variety of accents multiply and continue to add taste and aroma. This means that it not only grows but subtly changes. Individual words change meaning which can cause confusion and mis-understanding. 'Sad' and 'Gay' were opposite ends of the happiness spectrum, now one means 'Obsessed with trivia' and the other 'Homosexual'. I'm not sure how much of a change that is, but I can see the confusion!:-)
The process continues, and as world-wide communication proliferates so this tongue will continue to grow and blossom into the one language of the world and make Babel fish redundant. ><> :-(

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A369146

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more