Will we ever see stone cladding in outer space.

0 Conversations

The answer is yes and sooner than you would imagine. Astronauts in the international space station have already complained about the décor. Commercial companies who will soon be taking tourists into space have also criticised the aesthetics of many space vehicles and have insisted that their own interior/exterior design personnel with a slightly less aerodynamic approach to fashion be allowed to be part of the project teams.

So in future those cold and dull space materials may be clad with Cotswold stone and Carrara marble which as it happens is also quite resistant to heat and cold as can be seen by looking at some of the less eroded parts of Michelangelo’s David.

This may sound silly but style is important. Imagine having a house on the moon, well that is bad enough, talk about living in a quiet neighbourhood with nothing going on, but imagine having to come home to something that looks like a badly built biscuit tin every night.

Now wouldn’t you attract a better class of person if one’s space quarters were tastefully decorated. But more to the point, what will future generations say about our civilisation when they visit the first house on the moon museum and find a rusty old tin. I mean we just need to look at the Coliseum, Stonehenge or the pyramids to realise that stone works.

So as you can see stone cladding will sooner or later be used in outer space. Actually thinking about it I think NASA has already used tiles on their re-entry modules. I know they said it was for a technical reason, something to do with heat resistance but apparently this was just an excuse to get the slightly exaggerated painting and decorating budget approved.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3677826

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more