KC-767 TANKER TRANSPORT AIRCRAFT, USA

0 Conversations


The Boeing 767 tanker transport aircraft, designated KC-767 for the US Air Force, is a high performance version of the 767-200ER twin aisle jetliner equipped for fully integrated tanker operations. It is fitted with either boom and receptacle refuelling, hose and drogue refuelling or both. The commercial 767 first entered service in 1982 and more than 880 aircraft have been delivered. The cabin of the tanker can be configured for passenger transport, as a freighter, convertible (passenger or freighter) or Combi (passenger and freighter).

In the 1980s and in 1990/91 Boeing conducted studies directed towards the identification of an appropriate successor to the KC-135 Stratotanker, a derivative of the Boeing 707 jetliner. In 1991 the 707 production line was finally closed and studies confirmed that the long range twin engine 767 was a strong candidate to replace the KC-135. In May 2003, the US Air Force announced that it would lease 100 tankers to replace the oldest of its KC-135 tankers, subject to congressional approval. The lease would be for six years starting in 2006. An option to buy at the end of the lease is included in the deal. A Defense Science Board review of the USAF's proposed lease concluded that further studies were required before a decision could be taken. A decision on the deal is expected from the Secretary of Defense after these are completed in November 2004.

Boeing will produce the KC-767 aircraft at its Everett, Washington plant and then complete the tanker modifications at its Wichita Development and Modification Center.

In July 2001, the Italian Air Force ordered four 767 tanker transports in the Combi variant with first deliveries scheduled for 2005. The aircraft will be designated B-767 and Alenia Aeronautica will assist in development and production. In April 2003, the Japanese Air Self-Defence Force ordered the first of four of the convertible freighter variant for delivery from 2007.

Boeing was part of a consortium bidding to provide the 767-300ER for the Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft (FSTA) for the UK Ministry of Defence. The consortium, Tanker & Transport Service Company Ltd, also included BAE Systems, Serco and Spectrum Capital. The MOD selected the Airbus A330-200 in February 2004.

DESIGN

The structure incorporates new materials such as improved aluminium alloys, graphite composites and hybrid Kevlar graphite composites, which give enhanced strength, durability and longevity.

The configuration of a commercial 767 for the tanker transport role involves the installation of additional pumps and auxiliary fuel tanks together with the fuel distribution lines below the floor of the main cabin, leaving the main cabin free for cargo, passenger or both cargo and passenger transportation. The concept allows simultaneous refuelling and airlift operations or successive refuelling and airlift missions.

In the cargo configuration, the aircraft can transport 19 standard military 463-L pallets; in the passenger configuration, 200 passengers can be accommodated; and in the Combi configuration ten cargo pallets and 100 passengers can be carried.

COCKPIT

The 767 Tanker Transport aircraft has an advanced two person all-digital flight deck. Smiths Aerospace supply the mission control system which interfaces with the refuelling system. The control system is a derivative of the flight management system on the commercial Boeing 737. Innovative Solutions & Support Inc. will supply the flat panel Pilot's Mission Display (PMD) and Aerial Refuelling Operator Control Display (AROCD).

Rockwell Collins will supply the communications and navigation suite. Kaiser Electro-optics (a Rockwell Collins company) will supply head-mounted display systems for the Remote Aerial Refuelling Operator.

The 767 tanker transport will be equipped with military avionics, navigation and communications and an optional defensive aids suite with radar warning receivers and electronic and opto-electronic countermeasures.

REFUELLING

The 767 aircraft can be modified to accommodate refuelling wingpods and a centreline hose for probe and drogue refuelling. The 767 will accommodate any combination of these configurations. Smiths Aerospace supply the hydraulically-powered hose and drogue refuelling system. The fuselage can also be fitted with a centerline refuelling boom for boom and receptacle refuelling missions. Boeing will produce the boom itself and Smiths the boom actuation system. BAE Systems has been selected to supply the CsLEOS real-time operating system for boom control. The boom can refuel at the rate of 600 gallons per minute, the centreline hose at 600 gallons per minute and the wingpods at 400 gallons per minute.

The USAF air fuel transfer method is through the boom and receptacle air refuelling technique. The US Navy, the US Marines and NATO aircraft have traditionally used the hose and drogue air refuelling method. Aircraft using hose and drogue refuelling include US Navy F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and USMC AV-8B Harrier Plus aircraft. Aircraft using the flying boom refuelling system include the USAF F-111, F-15, F-16, the UK Eurofighter and the French F-1 Mirage. Future aircraft such as the Joint Strike Fighter will be developed for the optional installation of either refuelling system according to the customer country's operational requirements.

Tankers are fitted with tactical floodlights on the engine pylons, wing pods and the boom area to assist night-time refuelling operations. The drogue itself is fitted with small lights around the perimeter to help night operations. New generation highly ruggedised and impact resistant air-to-air refuelling drogues have been fitted with gaseous tritium lights with no wires or moving parts.

ENGINES

The two turbofan podded engines are mounted below the leading edges of the wings. 767 tankers for the Italian Air Force and the Japanese Air Self Defence Force will be equipped with GE Aircraft Engines CF6-80C2 engines, rated at 276kN. In March 2004, Boeing announced that the Pratt & Whitney PW4062 engine, rated at 282kN, would be the standard production engine for the USAF and future aircraft.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3567260

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more