A Conversation for Ice

Writing Workshop: A355060 - Ice

Post 1

IceSage

Entry: Ice - A355060
Author: IceSage - U134585

This guide entry was created nearly 3 years ago, and lacked any form of grammar and spelling guidelines. More content has been added and it's been organized a bit more. I'm submitting this Guide entry on "Ice" again considering if you compare it to my old one, (Although you can't now since I've updated it, although you might remember it) you'll find that it's been edited a bit.

This is working entry and there can be plenty more to add to it in the future.


A355060 - Ice

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

About the freezing point of ice - maybe add a couple of other measures besides Fahrenheit? Like Celsius (water freezes at 0º) and Kelvin?


A355060 - Ice

Post 3

IceSage

True. I should, in fact I shouldn't have really added this for review just yet but it's good that I did because a lot of suggestions could be made to help me improve this entry. It's a tough entry to write about however because there isn't much to write about, "Ice", itself. I mean, it's Ice... I could probably put some elemental formulas of Ice on there... Tell various locations where "Ice" is famous... but I think that goes a little off track from the main subject of it.


A355060 - Ice

Post 4

Titania (gone for lunch)

Hmmmm... looking at your user name - how about mentioning that there used to be quite a lot of it, during a certain age?smiley - biggrin


A355060 - Ice

Post 5

IceSage

My username isn't of "Ice Age" or "Ices Age" It's part of a character that was created that.... well, long story. You might see a LONG guide entry about it if I decide to post the whole story. Anyway, it's Ice Sage, as in, "Sage of Ice" as in, Wise of Ice, knowing all of Ice... etc...

But your idea about the Ice Age is good. Now that I think about it, I could also put in some ideas about how Ice is used to preserve certain things frozen in the past, and how scientists use this to their advantage.


A355060 - Ice

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

I had a feeling your user name had nothing to do with Ice Age - but if you read it out loud it does almost sound like it!smiley - biggrin


A355060 - Ice

Post 7

IceSage

Yes, it's a common mistake. I've also been called by various other versions of the word. I've been keeping track for some odd reason. ^_^

Yeah, anway. I enjoy all the comments everyone is submitting to me, I'm going to be sure to research a bit more on the subject of "ice" and add a whole lot more to the entry by the end of this day perhaps, in 12 hours or so maybe.

So to recap:

-Different Freezing points and different measurements.
-How ice is used in research, especially of the past.
-Famous places that "ice" makes up it's popularity and/or interests.

After that, I should have a rather long and info-packed entry, I'm also going to research what I've already put in a bit further and add that as well. Considering we don't really have an entry on "ice" and since I've been the first to create one on "Ice" specifically, I should really finish this soon. =D


A355060 - Ice

Post 8

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Here are a few ideas after one quick read through:

"Ice is the solid form of more liquid elements"
I'm not well enough grounded in physics or chemistry to know exactly why that ain't right, but I know it ain't. Ice may be the solid form of *some* elements, like hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, but it's also the the solid form of *some* compounds - like water and carbon dioxide. A compound is made of two or more elements. You need to find out more about this, and state why some elements or compounds form ice, whilst others don't. Is ice simply a name for the solid form of any element or compound which becomes solid below the freezing point of water?

In the section about putting ice into drinks, why not suggest making ice cubes out of the same liquid, like iced tea cubes for iced tea? You have mentioned that in the entry, but it's in two other sections. I think it would be better if you include that all in the same section.

You can't link to an unedited entry from an edited one, so the link to 'Ice: Crushed or Cubed' will have to go, and the link to 'Ice Hockey' is wrong - it should be A49510

Here are a few more ice-related edited entries you can link to:
A970733 - Frost fairs
A756047 - Icehotel, Jukkasjarvi, Sweden
A793659 - Iced Tea Without Boiling Water smiley - blush

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok


A355060 - Ice

Post 9

IceSage

Thank you for all that information and help.

Could it be possible to link to other unedited entries as long as the entry says it's unedited. (Although, if people didn't know they'd get confused, and think the link is a reliable source of information.)

Yes, I guess I'll have to remove those link for now.


A355060 - Ice

Post 10

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Fraid not. The Subeditors-GuideML page states that "The entries linked to should also be in the Edited Guide."


A355060 - Ice

Post 11

Titania (gone for lunch)

IceSage - if you like the unedited entries you'd like to link to and think that they are good, why not approach the author and see if he/she would be interested in putting it up for Peer Review?

You could of course do it yourself by clicking on the 'Submit for Review' link in the entries - but personally, I feel it's more polite to ask first...


A355060 - Ice

Post 12

IceSage

Well, the point of it was to post as many entries that relate to Ice in any form, because the entry of just, "Ice" has many entries it can branch off of. From sports relating to Ice, Ice Sculpting... etc... and most of those entries have already been created in the guide. (Some of them are poorly made, but they still exsist.)


A355060 - Ice

Post 13

Ukkeli, Keeper of Article Free English

Ice in general is well worth of it's own entry, I was actually quite suprised to realize that there wasn't one.smiley - huh

Maybe something about early users of ice? Romans at least transported snow and ice from Alps to cool their drinks.

One link to edited guide A875522 "How to make a hole in the ice"

smiley - snowman


A355060 - Ice

Post 14

IceSage

Hey! I didn't know that peice of information! I'll have to research that further, it sounds interesting! Thanks!


A355060 - Ice

Post 15

Pongo

It is incorrect to say Ice is the solid form of other liquids apart from water. What makes ice different from other solid liquids is that, when a substance goes from liquid to solid it contracts i.e it's volume decreases. Water on the other hand expands when it becomes solid, why this is I have no idea. Ice is used loosely when describing other liquids in solid form.

You could put in the dangers of ice e.g. on the road. It could also be worth mentioning the fact that although the Earth currently has Polar Ice Caps, this hasn't and won't always be the case.


A355060 - Ice

Post 16

Pongo

Oh you could mention some cool uses for ice, such as ice sculptures and in lapland there is a castle made from ice, which reminds me igaloos!

smiley - cheers Pongo


A355060 - Ice

Post 17

Z

This is a good entry smiley - biggrin but as the authour hasn't posted for more that two months perhaps we should move it to the FM?


A355060 - Ice

Post 18

quizzical

I spotted this entry in the Flea Market and would like to finish it up. I've got some ideas, like adding sections on the chemistry of water ice (why it's slippery), ice on other planets (ammonia ice, etc.) and a section on the use of the word 'ice' in English slang (eg. ice = diamond, putting something 'on ice', and the like).

I'll post this message on the author's personal page as well.

quizzical smiley - huh


A355060 - Ice

Post 19

§hadow

Quizz,
If you're going to rewrite this entry, you might want to add that water is the only liquid that freezes from the top down, all others freeze from the bottom up.
~§hadowsmiley - spacesmiley - fullmoon


A355060 - Ice

Post 20

quizzical

Good piece of info. smiley - smiley

I'm going to wait a few weeks before tackling the rewrite, just in case the author comes back. If he doesn't reply by the beginning of September, I'll get busy.


Key: Complain about this post