A Conversation for Agony Aunt

quite human...

Post 1

heidi

What is sad about the treating of animals by some 'specialists' is that there are not only some of them. I know so many stories about people just ignoring their pets (which had actually been bought to be a pal, am I right?), and I do also ask myself quite often: why?
But I guess it is a human problem. Just have a look at what people do to other people, to children especially who must be able to trust others.

I have just heard from a story about a little baby whose mother didn't want to stop working after birth, and whose father kept on following his studies. The boy was left alone for his first two years in this world only with some milk nearby! The neighbour had a key so that she could come over if the baby cried.
I was puzzled. I first didn't believe. This is so contra-life.
And then imagine. Animals have even fewer value than children. I hate the idea of giving value to creatures, but ask around, this is a quite common pattern.

I have to take care of some rodents (student-job), and even if I even can't touch these little beasts (I love my fingers, sorry), I take care of them with all my heart. We have taken them out of their natural environment and they must live in captivity only due to our scientific curiosity. I guess we are responsible to make it the most comfortable for them. And if only WE think it's comfortable for them, it is a beginning.

But it really is frightening. Every Thursday I have to be patient and listen to a professor who thinks that we could also use chimpanzees in laboratories. If only they were not so expensive.... I tell you, it is hard not to become a killer by yourself then.

What makes me shiver is the knowledge that this behaviour probably sleeps in the darkest caves of human genes.


quite human...

Post 2

Castle

You can't believe people could be so cruel it is so sad.


quite human...

Post 3

msmonsy

it is sad smiley - sadface....living where i do i see quite a bit when it comes to animal neglect. the people here tend to think that a dogs, or cats for that matter, place is outside where they do not make a mess of the house. the thought that always comes to my mind is that if you are afraid of the animals making a mess imagine what your thoughts on children in the house are. they make larger messes than the animals for the simple fact that they are children and are curious. an animal has feelings and thoughts. it is more than a bunch of wires and empty space. it seems that people are forgetting this smiley - sadface...
another thing that disturbs me is something i saw on the news the other day....a woman had over 200 pets in her backyard both in various cages and just running loose. some of these animals were in cages with other animals that had died or in cages filled with their own waste products. when the rescue team was finally alerted to this it was almost too late. quite a few of them had to be 'put to sleep' because they were so far gone and the ones that were in better health are still going through recovery.
i don't understand and don't think i ever will. i myself have 3 dogs, 1 cat and a ferret...the dogs and cat are allowed to go both inside and outside, i bathe and groom the dogs and cat regulary so that they do not smell up anything and to keep them healthy. the ferret is housebroken and able to run free inside all the time. whenever i receive a pet i treat it as part of the family because that is what it is.....a member of the family, not something to be shoved to the side and forgotten about.
monsy


quite human...

Post 4

Castle

You wonder why she had so many pets do you think it was to much for her and it just got on top of her and she could not cop.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Agony Aunt

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more