A Conversation for No Pain Prostate Biopsy (UG)

spinal anaesthesia

Post 1

Rod

hmorgens,

I know that there Are benefits to living in America, I was there for a year - but in this case I'd much prefer to be here in UK.

Prostate Biopsy I can't comment on - but it surely can't be much different from the TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate - ie reaming out the prostate to allow easier urination). I had that done a couple of years ago, after ... well, that's not relevant.

What is relevant is that my son-in-law (a theatre technician who does such things) had told me to ask for 'a spinal' (spinal anaesthesia) and I did. The anaesthetist said 'Oh good, I was going to suggest that'. On my further question, she told me that people are afraid of it so very few accept.

I tell you - Ask For It.

A quick local anaesthetic, a minute or so waiting then no sensation at all from the waist down for oh, a couple of hours, maybe more - but wide awake & normal.

I had asked if they would rig up a TV so I could see what they were doing (the same pictures as they had) and they did. The surgeon gave me a running commentary - fascinating stuff until it got so, well, just boring. No Sensation At All, mind too busy to sleep.

I think I did sleep on being taken back to bed but can't remember!

No after effects, no side effects, just the discomforts to be expected with the op & subsequent treatment.


Experience of prostate biopsy

Post 2

mandolinic

Just this morning I went through a prostate biopsy at a small regional hospital in the south west of England. I thought I'd share my experience with anyone else who might be facing this. I can reassure you that the anticipation is far worse than the reality!

For the last six months I've had an inflamed prostate and been on numerous doses of antibiotic with no success. My PSA has gone up to 5.8 and my urologist recommended a biopsy to exclude cancer (gulp).

I was accompanied by a friend since my wife was unwell. I do recommend you don't go on your own. As you can imagine, I was somewhat stressed by the thought of what I might go through.

The procedure was carried out by a friendly female nurse practitioner and an assistant. Before starting, she explained the possible side effects and complications, then asked me to sign a consent form.

I then had to drop my trousers (and we'd only just been introduced!) and lie down on a bed. I was given an injection of antibiotics and then asked to lie on my left side with my knees drawn up. The nurse put in anaesthetic gel (which immediately stopped any feelings of discomfort) and followed up by a couple of local anaesthetic jabs where the sun don't shine. These hurt very slightly.

After a minute or two, she started the procedure and fired in the first needle. And it didn't hurt at all! There was none of the excruciating pain I'd expected, just a tiny painless jolt. These painless jolts carried on for then next three needles and then the next two actually hurt. Think of having a dental injection - it was about that painful. I told the nurse and she thought this was where my prostate was inflamed. She said that she'd finished that side and was moving to the other side, but if I still felt pain she'd inject more anaesthetic. For the remaining six needles I felt no pain and no further injections were needed.

Now it was finished; they asked me to sit up slowly and gave me an absorbent pad for my underpants just in case of any residual bleeding. They gave me a prescription for more antibiotics and some strong painkillers (cocodamol). I had to pick these up from the pharmacy and take the first dose of antibiotics at once. I recommend you should also take the first dose of painkillers at the same time.

My friend and I went on to the hospital restaurant for a coffee and cake, and we sat quietly for 20 minutes before leaving. I was able to drive with no problems.

It's now a couple of hours later and I've taken a dose of the painkillers just in case! There's some strange feelings in my groin, but nothing painful. I've also passed water and to my surprise there was no blood in it. I'm going to take the rest of the day easy.

So, was it painful? Somewhat, but no worse than a dental anaesthetic for just two samples and the pain only lasted a couple seconds. Remember I'd gone in with an already inflamed prostate. Would I do it again? It's not something I'd want to do every day, but yes, if I need to go through it again then I would not hesitate. Would I rather have root canal or a prostate biopsy? The biopsy, no question.

Now it's just a question of waiting a week or so for the results to come out. Fingers crossed there's no cancer, just an inflamed prostate.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for No Pain Prostate Biopsy (UG)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more