A Conversation for 1984 by George Orwell

Praise

Post 1

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

I thought this was a great book, though this book is not anti-communist. It is agaisnt totalitarian governments and the actual communism, rather than the one that was an utopia. He was a communist. Another great book by him is Animal Farm, representing Russia's revolution and Stalin's rule.


Praise

Post 2

Casanova the Short

Although the book is not explicitly anti-communist, I think that the Ingsoc reference speaks for itself. Orwell's point was that a Communist government would soon become totalitarian, and this was his dystopian view of the end result.

I have read Animal Farm and probably would have liked it, except that I did it for GCSE English and therefore got bored sick of it, having to trawl through and find metaphors, similes, malapropisms, etc etc every bloody day for about two years. Therefore, no review.

P.S. Have you read The Road to Wigan Pier?

P.P.S. Did you know that the derivation of utopia is no-place?


Praise

Post 3

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

Aw, those evil people! They ruin such a good book like that.

Nope, I've only read those two Orwell books.

And... I do know that... and Perfect Communism is an utopia, it will never exist b/c human nature is against it.


Praise

Post 4

Casanova the Short

I'm glad you haven't read TRTWP, because if you had, and recommended it, I'd have to read it. Oh, it's in the bookcase, it's just one of the ones I haven't got around to yet (I'm currently reading an SF anthology, Aristotle's Ethics and Blackpool Rock (the Graeme Greene one, not the Freddie Mercury one) and therefore have no time to start another book as well (actually, that's a lie, I've got nothing to do until October)), along with a couple of his other books. Homage to Catalonia I think, but as I'm nowhere near the bookcase I can't back that up.


P.S.

Post 5

Casanova the Short

You are, apparently, "The Frood". You wouldn't happen to be a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is, would you?


P.S.

Post 6

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

Maybe I'll read it later and recommend it to you? I also have a long waiting list of books to read (currently I'm reading Dune Messiah and want to read all of the Dune Series). Well, let's see who reads it first and recommends it. smiley - winkeye

Yep, I'm /The/ Frood who knows where his towel is.


P.S.

Post 7

Casanova the Short

Dune Messiah's the second one, isn't it? I read Dune, and got halfway through Messiah, before I gave it up for 1984, Blackpool Rock, and Plato's Republic. I have the whole Dune sequence, and again, they just sit there. Gathering dust. Remarkable well, seeing how huge they are.

You may think that I spend far too much on books that I don't read. Don't worry, I WILL read them, eventually. And I got most of them from secondhand shops anyway, so the cost was next to sod all.

And, P.S., congratulations are in order, for your being /THE/ Frood. I always thought they came in six-packs.


P.S.

Post 8

Casanova the Short

Dune Messiah's the second one, isn't it? I read Dune, and got halfway through Messiah, before I gave it up for 1984, Blackpool Rock, and Plato's Republic. I have the whole Dune sequence, and again, they just sit there. Gathering dust. Remarkable well, seeing how huge they are.

You may think that I spend far too much on books that I don't read. Don't worry, I WILL read them, eventually. And I got most of them from secondhand shops anyway, so the cost was next to sod all.

And, P.S., congratulations are in order, for your being /THE/ Frood. I always thought they came in six-packs.


P.S.

Post 9

Casanova the Short

Due to my being at College, and the proxy connection (or connexion, as Orwell kept spelling it) being about as good as Satan, I appear to have posted the last message (at least) twice. Sorry, people!


P.S.

Post 10

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

I don't think that. I also do that. The Dune books have sat in my bookshelf for a long time until I decided to go to them. So did both of Orwell's books. I don't spend as much money, though, as my brother buys them and I read them. Oh, and yes, Dune Messiah is the second one (and better than the first).

Well, you can buy them in six packs but... will they be of the same quality of me? Quality over quantity, I say!


P.S.

Post 11

Casanova the Short

I'm glad to find someone of the same literary bent as myself. But I feel I must complain, as this conversation is getting needlessly stupid now.


P.S.

Post 12

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

Ok, this conversation is closed until something needfully stupid comes up.


P.S.

Post 13

Casanova the Short

I'm stupid, I have a need! I need to be not stupid.


P.S.

Post 14

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

We're drifiting into needlessly stupid again smiley - smiley


P.S.

Post 15

Casanova the Short

I don't think I've ever drifited before. I kinda like it. Anyway, I think you mean "needless stupidity".


Philistine.


P.S.

Post 16

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

*chuckles*

Whatever.

*chuckles some more*


P.S.

Post 17

Fruitbat (Eric the)

Personal taste dictates that I suggest you read the first three books of the Dune series: Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune; the rest of the appear to be milking a dry cow (yes, I know that's awful pun, and you get the point).....

Fruitbat


P.S.

Post 18

Casanova the Short

I'm not sure I have the staying power, nor the will to live, to survive the entire Dune sequence.


Key: Complain about this post