Ideas for the Astronomy Department

1 Conversation

In some (other) idle moments, these thoughts have crossed my mind...

Virtual drinking fountain/cafe as a place to meet up? This could be common to every department. Wherever you were in the University, there would be a drinking fountain there where you could shoot the breeze with others. Informal chat, as a place to germinate new idea/articles, etc.

Live on-line lecture or Q and A sessions? We could get special guests in to have a chat. This will require, maybe, a more live chat thing (maybe a chunk of Java?), and we could get well-known astronomers/astronauts/you-name-it in to have a chat and 'spread the word'. Don't know how h2g2 might set itself up for 'chat' technology in the future...

Live events - e.g. meteor shower observation. People like Jimi could host a night of gazing and exploring the sky. Obviously going to regional, but still possible. Maybe post notification on a Dept noticeboard (Upcoming Events Board). Again, this could be common to every department. Except, maybe, the Quantum Chromodynamics Dept!

Live sky plot - see what the sky should look like at any time wherever you are on the planet. Heheh! I have a chunk of Perl code to do this, but presenting the resulting graphic might be tricky. Can quite easily caluclate planet/sun/moon rises, etc - like an almanac. If anyone has not seen the Starry Night program, check it out Right Now! It's easily the coolest app I've ever played with... (click here for a demo download, and then buy it for Bob's sake!) We could do a partnership thing here because it's Internet-savvy, so lots of people could agree to explore together, or swap asteroid coordinates and actually hunt them down in the night sky, etc.

Man, there's no end to what we can do! Vive l'Internet, as the French probably don't say due to their restrictive laws on Internet use and cryptography... :-)


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A347852

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more