A Conversation for Pascal's Wager

Do we have a choice what to believe?

Post 1

HenryS

Not sure this hasn't been discussed before...
I think a possible objection to Pascal's Wager that you've not included, is that some people (myself included) don't really find it possible to choose to believe in something one doesn't think is true. Pascal's Wager says: 'believe it, because it's better for you if its true, and doesn't matter if its false'. Well yes, very nice, but I don't have that choice.
Is this uncommon? How do you go about deciding to change what you believe? Sure you can choose to research it, and choose to work out the arguments and evidence, but that's entirely different from altering your beliefs by willpower.


Do we have a choice what to believe?

Post 2

Martin Harper

I thought I'd included this, but you're right, I hadn't. Oops. Will fix it now.

Pascal had thought of this objection, and his response was that though it might be difficult to change ones belief directly, one could try to do so. One can spend time in church, reading holy texts, and praying, and so forth. Gradually, acting as though one believes something is supposed to be likely to lead to eventually believing that thing. Modern psychology theories partially support him in this idea.


Do we have a choice what to believe?

Post 3

HenryS

That's a pretty scary thought. Your opinion of what is true can be changed by the way you act. Though clearly what *is* true is unchanged by what you do. Well, unless you're talking about if the washing up has been done or not. Ahem, anyway. Good guide entry.


Key: Complain about this post

Do we have a choice what to believe?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more