Birdwatching for Beginners

1 Conversation

Birdwatching, or Birding as it is becoming more popularly known, is a hugely enjoyable and rewarding interest, which is, if membership of the RSPB(Royal Society for the Protection of Birds)is anything to go by, being enjoyed by a large and increasing number of the British population.
One of the joys of the hobby is that you can do it practically anywhere you have a view outdoors. A good place to start is by observing the birds in your garden or local park. Most people are visited by House Sparrows and the odd Blackbird. Putting food out, in the form of peanuts or fat balls bought from your local pet store or garden centre can work wonders, especially if accompanied by water for birds to drink or bathe in. You may be pleasantly surprised by what turns up.
Get hold of a bird guide - it doesn't have to be expensive. Just one that lists garden birds or those of your immediate locality may be enough to start with, and you can always borrow one from your local library.
A pair of binoculars is essential to see the birds properly. Always try before you buy - the market can be quite bewildering, and many optical shops actually hold 'test days' in the field, giving potential customers the chance to put a large variety through their paces. Bird magazines or your local bird club are good places to go to to get advice.
Carry a notebook and something to write with, not only to list all the birds you have seen and recognised, but to make brief, detailed points about those you don't know. This is an extremely useful activity, and the foundation of becoming a better, more knowledgeable birder. To note down details such as size, shape, colour, bill shape etc, together with where it was and what it was doing at the time means you are practicing the most valuable skills of the hobby - patience, concentration, close observation, as well as adding to your list of known birds - when you get home, look it up and you will know what it is the next time you see it.
Recognising bird songs and calls is a skill all by itself, and can only be picked up gradually as you get out into the field and listen to the birds around you. Tapes and CD's you may either find helpful or confusing - there's no substitute for being outdoors hearing the sounds for yourself. The more you go out, the more you observe and listen, the more familiar you will become.
Many birders have what is called a 'local patch'. This is an area they visit regularly, and because of this get to know it inside and out - gradually becoming familiar with the lie of the land, and what birds they can expect to see and at what time of year. (Don't forget, many of 'our' birds are migratory - only to be seen in certain seasons.) The local patch, as you can gather from the name, is normally close to home, thereby enabling these regular visits. As mentioned earlier, it can be the park down the road or your own garden.
Another good idea is to join one or two wildlife organisations such as the RSPB, local bird club, natural history society, or Wildlife Trust. These organisations do good work on behalf of birds and the environment in general, and some of the reserves can be members only or free entry to members. They provide a chance to meet and chat with like-minded people, from other beginners through to experts, as well as putting on all sorts of fun and interesting talks, walks, and other events. They deserve your support.
As with any interest, if you're prepared to put in a little effort, the rewards can be great - it's a good excuse to get outdoors, take a walk and get some fresh air(if you're someone more used to sitting in front of a warm t.v). Birding can be fun, frustrating, relaxing, exhausting, invigorating, and all on the same trip! You never know, you may become so involved, you find yourself listening out for and chasing after those rarities - but that's another story.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3376280

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more