A Conversation for M2M2 - On Being a gay sportsperson

Re: How to handle the Joking?

Post 1

16Stroke9inAetreolaCluster

One more suggestion on how to handle the joking in the locker room is:

I agree with both of your suggestions...
> A) Either you: ignore the homophobic jokes and mocking that tend to go on around you
> Or:
> B) you join in therefore feeling more scared that someday you will be found out.

And, I want to add one more...
C) Tell them your gay. Now this does not mean you should wear the pink and lavender "Hi I'm gay and oh, by the way, my name is Glen.." name tag. But, I have been more surprised how often people who had the narrowest minds with regard to sexuality can turn out to be the best supporters in the world given enough time and encouragement. Many of them just never knew a gay person (other than on telly) who they could relate with. I think my best supporters (surprisingly) were people who I have played sports with previously.

I do think allowing everyone to get to know you first is important. If they chose not to like you, they can do so because your a jerk, or a sissy, or a blabber-mouth-who-won't-shut-up-on-the-pitch (this one's me) or whatever. After they know you, the gay issue is really no big deal if we don't make one of it. I have to admit, not everyone decides to attend the next pride parade wearing fish net stockings and combat boots. But, 85% of the people in the locker room that found out I was gay, just treated me like everyone else. The rest just left me alone. One asked me--and I accepted--to be the best man at his wedding after we had known each other for almost 10 years! Some become close friends and chat with me about who I'm dating, etc.

Growing up we would play American Football and play the popular game "smear-the-queer".. This is where one poor sod (the queer) has the ball and everyone else gets to chase and tackle him. Guess who got to the queer in the game? I got really good at running and defence smiley - winkeye

Cheers,

Glen

P.S. Suggestion number three isn't bad, especially after you come out to them. I know some of the best gay jokes in the world! If a joke's funny and doesn't hurt anyone, I don't wanna miss out on it.... That reminds me, did I ever tell you the one about a priest who walks into a pet store and.......


Re: How to handle the Joking?

Post 2

Demon Drawer

Hi there Glen, I'm about to try and reactivate Berilia and when I do I will add your suggestion into the article


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more