A Conversation for The I LOVE YOU Virus

double extentions

Post 1

Bobin' Along (with the flow)

Indeed, you would think that even the most inexperienced user (at least Windows users) would see the double extention and say 'hmmm...'. Remember though, that in it's neverending quest to make a more user-friendly OS, M$ thoughtfully hides registered extentions by default. That way, MyFile.txt, MyFile.doc, MyFile.jpg, etc. all show up as simply 'MyFile'. This allows the friendly user to have to open seven or eight files - starting up seven or eight apps, of course - just to find the one he wants. I'm sure that most people saw the file not as ILoveYou.txt.vbs, but as ILoveYou.txt.

Also, since Windows has no clue whatsoever about security, any incoming file can execute whatever commands it wants. In UNIX, after a file is recieved, it's permissions must be explicitly changed to be executable. Ahhh, the peace of mind that comes from having an autoimmune system smiley - smiley


double extentions

Post 2

jecook

>In UNIX, after a file is recieved, it's permissions must be
>explicitly changed to be executable. Ahhh, the peace of mind that
>comes from having an autoimmune system.

How true.

It is fortunate that modern virus scanners can pick such things up now. The only catch is that you have to buy then first and install them, something most users have problems with.

many of my co-workers use PINE, or some unix based mail program for just this reason.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The I LOVE YOU Virus

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more