A Conversation for On This Day in History - Suggestions for May

31st May

Post 1

Demon Drawer

1970
In Chimbote, Peru, an earthquake measuring 7.75 on the richter scale killed more than 50 000, more than 100 000 were injured and 800 000 left homeless.


31st May

Post 2

Murph

May 31, 1857 is the birthday of Pope Pius XI, born Ambrogio Damiano Achille Ratti, he was the 259th pope of the Roman Catholic Church, reigning from February 6, 1922 to February 10, 1939.

May 31, 1819 is the birthday of poet Walt Whitman. Whitman's Leaves of Grass was controversial in its day (and perhaps this one) in both content and style, celebrating the American spirit.

May 31, 1930 is movie actor Clint Eastwood's birthday. Eastwood has had a successful career playing Western lawmen who shoot bad guys, loose cannon modern day law officers who shoot bad guys, and Western outlaws who shoot worse guys.

I imagine they'd have a lot to talk about if you invited all three to the same birthday party.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more