A Conversation for Flies

Train Stopping

Post 1

Doug Dastardly

I always remember as a child listening to playgroud science about how a fly hitting a fast moving train would cause the train to stop moving for a fraction of a second. Although now, I have heard every other type of excuse for the late running of the trains from the wrong type of snow, or the wrong type of leaves on the line, I have yet to hear that the train has been delayed due to a concerted effort of a rather determined swarm of flies... but I guess, it's only a matter of time.


Train Stopping

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

A VIA Rail conductor once told me about a colleague who was hit by exploding pigeon fragments, as he opened the door of a train entering a station.


Train Stopping

Post 3

Doug Dastardly

Well... I guess that's still better than exploding commuter fragments!


Train Stopping

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

I saw a boy who had inadvertently become a part of the fly experiment. He did, in fact, stop the train; but not for half a mile or so.


Train Stopping

Post 5

Doug Dastardly

That's not so good. The company I used to work for did a lot of work on railway bridges... and on one occasion were working at a point where they could see the platform of a nearby station. They watched in horror as a man took off his jacket, and placed it over his briefcase, and then as a non-stop high speed train came past.. threw himself before it...


Train Stopping

Post 6

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Yow! What must be going through someone's mind to make them do something like that! There was a case in Toronto recently , where somebody with a squeaky wheel walked up behind a young girl, total stranger, and pushed her in front of a train.


Train Stopping

Post 7

Doug Dastardly

Happens on the London Underground from time to time too. You get announcements saying there's been "an incident on the line"...


Train Stopping

Post 8

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

There are a lot more of these type of incidents than the authorities let on, I think.


Train Stopping

Post 9

Doug Dastardly

I think you're probably right - my dad's just been on a health and safety training course for the railways... and heard loads of nasty stories... like one engineer hammering a steak through a high voltage cable...


Train Stopping

Post 10

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

It's a dangerous world we live in. As they say, it only takes a second to ruin your day.


Train Stopping

Post 11

Doug Dastardly

And you know what that second normally turns out to be? Getting out of bed smiley - winkeye.


Train Stopping

Post 12

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

I am beginning to suspect that, given a choice, "morning person" would not rate highly on a list of ways you would choose to describe yourself.

p.s. I 've not ben having much luck with the smileys and such.


Train Stopping

Post 13

Doug Dastardly

What gives you that impression? smiley - winkeye I'm one of those late night creatures... which explains hy mornings are such bad news smiley - smiley

ps. how do you mean trouble?


Train Stopping

Post 14

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Cause or effect?

ps they were, for a while, duplicating text. Now they simply don't appear.


Key: Complain about this post