A Conversation for h2g2 FAQ: Contributing to h2g2

BBC copyright claims

Post 1

Researcher 219823


By indicating that you are receiving the right to copy in any way you choose, material that is legally ours, you are indicating that we have given you the right to do so freely? That we are not entitled to some sort of payment and control over what you do with our stuff?

Has this been tested in a court of law, or are you just assuming this position?


BBC copyright claims

Post 2

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

When you contribute material to h2g2, you retain the copyright over it, but grant a non-exclusive licence to the BBC to do with it as they see fit. They are under no obligation to pay you for this.

Nobody's been so nasty as to take h2g2 to court over this - it's in the House Rules that you agree to adhere to.

If you have a problem with it, I'm afraid the only thing to do is to cease contributing. smiley - sadface Please don't - h2g2 is a lovely place and it would be a shame to hold back on a technicality.

Whoami? smiley - cake


BBC copyright claims

Post 3

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

And yes, actually, you have "given (them) the right to do so freely." It was in Terms and Conditions and House Rules when you signed up, and you *freely* chose to sign up anyway. People certainly have the option of looking at the terms and rules, deciding they don't like them, and then not signing up. So yes, it is a freely made decision.

It's all quite legal, and the BBC is far from the only place having such terms.

smiley - mouse




BBC copyright claims

Post 4

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

In fact, many places are far more restrictive - often you grant them exlusive rights - meaning you can't use your contribution anywhere else. Luckily, on h2g2, the license is non-exclusive - you can use your contributions as you see fit, and so can the BBC.

Whoami? smiley - cake


BBC copyright claims

Post 5

Bob McBob

Hang on....
If I quote someone on H2G2, and they have copyright on it, am I breaking their copyright?
It's all right for the BBC to quote anyone, but anyone else....?


BBC copyright claims

Post 6

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

You can quote what other people have said on h2g2, that's fine (I'm thinking that's what you've said, I'm not sure, though, so let me know if I got it wrong). What you can't do is take something they've written (something more substantial than a one line post, like a guide entry), and pretend that you wrote it. Does that help?

smiley - mouse


BBC copyright claims

Post 7

Bob McBob

Yes, I think so thanks.


Key: Complain about this post