A Conversation for h2g2 FAQ: Conversations on h2g2

Have you had a brush with Sporting fame?

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

This is, I guess, a follow on from the Olympic games.

I was fairly sure, a couple of months ago, that some of Team GB smiley - ok were living next door to me, as I'd seen rowing paraphernalia outside two properties a couple of times and young ladies in white tops with the GB lion emblazoned on them.

Today I arrived home from work and two young ladies, who resemble the two rowers in the double sculls, (HC and HG) were picking up two massive blue bags with red piping on. They were wearing the distinctive white, blue and red jackets and entering the basement flat two doors away.

Oh! Did I ever want to go up to someone and say 'Well done Girls!!!'

I am not sure, but maybe the whole female team smiley - tongueout were living here as the house immediately next door also had four female rowers staying there, who I had seen them a number of times. I just hadn't twigged that outfits were Team GB until the Olympics smiley - huh.

Fame on my doorstep, and I only get a fleeting glimpse of them! smiley - sadface

Oh well... They are only Superhuman!!!

Well done Girls. smiley - applause

It is the nearest I have been to anybody sportingly famous since going to school with the GB's gold winning Hockey Captain. smiley - erm That was, of course, before he became the GB Captain.

Has anyone else had the privilege, or otherwise, of rubbing shoulders with someone of sporting fame?

smiley - surfer

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

!


Have you had a brush with Sporting fame?

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

My cousin, back in the late 1980's early 1990's competed several times in the commonwealth games, and all the other national type events, don't think she ever made it to the olympics though smiley - sadface her boyfriend, now husband I think, was an ex Mr Universe, bodybuilder and also held the world record for the javalin for a while, he is currnetly a coach for javlin for team GB 2012.
Anyhow, though knowing them I met quite a few of the field/track athletes from the late 80's and early 90's, and even ahd scome coaching off them on things like javalin and shot put,a nd 'hung out with some of them a bit... I guess Linford Cristae would have been the most famous I met, but I must admit the javalin guys impressed me more smiley - blush


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more