The X-Philes - Hell on Earth Part 8

0 Conversations

X Files office, 1 week later

Mulder and Scully are writing and re-writing the Devil Worshipping report.

Mulder: 'This is the hardest report I've ever had to write. Even I've got trouble believing it. The hardest thing to believe is that I looked into the face of the Devil.'

Scully is looking troubled.

Mulder: 'What's up?'

Scully: 'Did we win, Mulder? I mean we never found Monsignior O'Bannion. Who's to say he won't try again.'

Mulder: 'Of course we won. The Earth is safe once more. We won't get thanked for it. Kersh will reprimand us for the contents of the report and he'll try and close us down. Everything is back to normal.'

Scully: 'I guess you're right.'

Mulder: 'Say, where's Agent Doggett?'

Scully: 'He's gone to see Jude I think. Did you speak to her?'

Mulder nods.

Scully: 'And?'

Mulder: 'There's definitely something there. I'm sure she can sense emotions. This is what I've been waiting for - the first piece of evidence which can prove that the paranormal exsists and I don't know what to do with it. I don't want to take it any further. I mean she's suffered enough. I don't want her to be hounded like some side show freak.'

Scully: 'That's very noble of you Mulder.'

Mulder: 'Thank you, Scully. Maybe I've come to realise that there's more to the X Files than proving that I'm right. Maybe it's time to let go a little bit.'

Scully: 'That'll be the day.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to Jude's apartment. She is packing her belongings into boxes.

*Knock on the door.*

Jude: 'Come in, it's open.'

Doggett comes through the door.

Doggett: 'Hi. Where are you off to?'

Jude: 'England. I got a transfer to Christies in London. I'm going to stay with Vicki for a while then go from there I suppose, but I'm glad you're here. I wanted to say I'm sorry.'

Doggett: 'No, I'm the one who should be apologising to you.'

Jude: 'No, hear me out please. For ten years I blamed you for what happend when I had no right to. Agent Scully explained everything to me and after that I felt really low. I'm really sorry.'

Doggett: 'I'm sorry, too. I know I've said it so many times over these last few weeks but I don't know if that's enough. I didn't pay much attention to the rumours and gossip about you at first, but someone kept sending me newspaper and magazine cuttings about what was happening to you two; the divorce and custody battle, how you'd tried to kill yourself, someone wanted me to suffer.'

Jude: 'It must have been O'Bannion. He was on a real revenge kick then according to Agent Scully.'

*Mobile rings.*

Doggett: 'Scuse me... John Doggett... ok, sir, I'll be there as soon as I can.' (to Jude) 'Sorry, I've got to go. My boss want's to see me.'

He hugs Jude.

Doggett: 'You take care of yourself, ok.'

Jude: 'I will - and you too.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to Deputy Director Kersh's office.

*Knock on the door.*

Kersh: 'Come in.'

Doggett comes through the door.

Doggett: 'You wanted to see me, Sir.'

Kersh: 'Yes, John, come on in and take a seat. Good work on the Devil Worshippers by the way.'

Doggett: 'The ringleaders got away though.'

Kersh: 'That's not why I wanted to talk to you. I've been looking through some past files and I've come up with something interesting. It seems that eight years ago Agent Scully was sent to partner Agent Mulder on the understanding that she discredit his work. This she failed to do - in fact she became his biggest ally.'

Doggett: 'And?'

Kersh: 'This is where you come in. I want you to join the X Files and discredit their work.'

Doggett: 'I can't do that sir. It's their lifes work. It means too much to them. Send someone else, I can't do it.'

Kersh: 'They trust you, they won't suspect you.'

Doggett: 'I still won't do it.'

Kersh: 'Are you refusing a direct order?'

Doggett: (sighs) 'No, sir, I'm not.'

Kersh: 'Good, I'll look forward to your first report. That will be all.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to the X files office. Skinner knocks on the door.

Mulder: 'Hey, sir, what's up?'

Skinner: 'It seems that you are getting a new member of the X Files team.'

Scully: 'What, why?'

Mulder: 'Who?'

Doggett appears at the door.

Doggett: 'Me! Kersh just told me I'm transfering down here with you. Don't yell at me it wasn't my idea.'

Mulder: 'What for. To spy on us?'

Doggett: 'That's the general idea. Remember the night of the raid on St Margaret's and you told me that a well spoken man had been to see you...' (Mulder nods) '... and he told you we were players in a rigged game? He also said that my destiny had already been decided. Well I think that part is happening now and that's why I'm here. Someone is leaning on Kersh.'

Mulder: 'That well spoken man also said that the player's in the game were more powerful than he was.'

Skinner: 'Who is he Mulder?'

Mulder: 'I have no idea, but I've got the strangest feeling I've seen him somewhere before.'

Scully: 'Well, welcome to the basement Agent Doggett. I hope you can cope with being an outcast.'

Doggett: 'Thanks! We all know we've been shafted, but thanks anyway.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to Kersh's office. He is on the phone.

Kersh: 'I've done what you wanted so give me back the photographs.'

Voice: 'All in good time, Deputy Director. After your next appointment go to your PA's plant pot. There you'll find a key. Go to the First National Bank and they will be in security box number 1013.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to Kersh's outer office. A man in Cardinals robes is admiring the plant on the desk. Kersh opens the door and greets the man.

Kersh: 'Ah Cardinal O'Halloran. It's a pleasure to meet you.'

The face is revealed to be that of O'Bannion. He shakes hands with Kersh.

Cardinal O'Halloran: 'The pleasure is mine Deputy Director.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes again to a bar. The regulars are watching a news broadcast.

Newscaster: 'Tonights main story on Fox News is this; a major shake up has taken place at the Department of Internal Security. President Bush has announced a new head of department. We're going live to the White House and Our reporter Bethany Russell. Bethany what's happening there?'

Bethany: 'Thank you, Clare. Well the new department head, Nick De Abalo, is due to give a press conference about now. Yes I can see him now.'

The camera show Nick De Abalo on the stage.

Nick De Abalo: 'Well, first I'd like to thank everyone who helped me get here...'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The X-Philes Series Archive

Reefgirl

30.09.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3062693

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more