Knots

0 Conversations

A knot is an intertwining of one or more ropes1, that holds them together. Knots are used in many hobbies such as rock climbing, sailing and lace making. They also are used everyday to tie up shoelaces, put up washing lines, tie ribbons on presents and numerous other tasks. It is important to use a suitable knot for the task at hand. Few people take the time to learn a suitable knot, hence the number of shoelaces that come untied and washing lines that fall down.

History of Knot Tying

Knots have been used by humans since prehistory. The use of knots has been evolving over the centuries. The Incas of Peru used knots instead of writing. The type of knot, the colour of the cord and the position of the knot on the cord, all helped convey complex messages.

As well as functional uses, knots have been used for decoration. Many decorative items can be made with knots, including clothing, jewellery and wall hangings. Knots also appears in art, such as the Celtic knot designs.

In more recent times, attempts were made to write down information on knots and knot tying. The most comprehensive guide to knots is The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford Ashley. It was first published in 1944. This weighty2 volume contains thousands of different knots.

Knot Terms

There are many terms used in knot tying, describing parts of knots and specific types of knots. Here are a few of the most commonly used terms:

  • Bend - a knot that joins the ends of two pieces of rope.

  • Bight - a slack part of the rope, particularly where it is forming a loop.

  • Hitch - a knot tied around an object, such as a pole or ring.

  • Lashing - a knot that ties two or more poles together.

  • Loop - a fold in the rope, forming a loop shape.

  • Macramé - the art of decorative knot tying.

  • Splice - interweaving the strands of two ropes, or parts of rope, to hold them together.

  • Standing End - the end of the rope which is not being used to tie the knot.

  • Standing Part - the part of the rope not being used to tie the knot.

  • Whipping - binding the end of a rope to stop the rope fraying.

  • Working End - the end of the rope that is being used to tie the knot. This is also called the running end.

The International Guild of Knot Tyers

In the acknowledgements of many recent knot books the International Guild of Knot Tyers, or IGKT, will be mentioned. The IGKT was officially started on April, 1982. The aims of the IGKT are to promote knotting, research into knotting, and to act as a consultable authority on knotting. Additional information can be found on the IGKT Website.

1Knots can also be tied in string, cotton, ribbon, wire, strips of leather, and numerous other things.2An average edition weighs approximately 2kg.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A304480

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more