A Conversation for Benford's Law

Question

Post 1

Purple

What exactly do you mean by, "that for some reason the later pages in a book of logarithms were much more smudged." Its just that I'm editng your entry for approval and wouldn't want to introduce anything incorrect.


Question

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

Well, a book of logarithms is ordered in order of the first digits.
So all the 1's are in what is equivalent to chapter 1, 2's in chapter 2 etc.
Now what happens is that as these books are used the pages get dirty..as with any frequently used book...and it was found that they were always dirtier the nearer the front you were.
Now since nobody actually reads these books, they just open them up on the page they want, it stands to reason that if the 1s are more smudged then the 1s are more often used.

(I'm sure I can explain this better - I'll try again tomorrow smiley - winkeye )


Question

Post 3

Purple

But there are 10 digits, and that means that the upper range would be all the nines(well, one nine actually.)

So there would be an equal chance.


Question

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

Erm, no...there isn't an equal chance (as in the artcile) but you would _expect_ there to be one; hence the surprise when this was first observed.

...I'm going to search for more sources...back soon...


Question

Post 5

Is mise Duncan

A more comprehensive (and better spelt smiley - winkeye ) version can be found at:
http://www.keysites.com/ns/19990710/thepowerof.html

HTH,
<>=====uuu========<


Question

Post 6

Purple

OK, I get it. (-:


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more