The X-Philes - Hell on Earth Part 5

0 Conversations

Christies Auction House - a Little Later

Auctioneer: 'Lot 10. A medieval sword called Cymru supposedly used by Sir Richard DuBois in the crusades.'

Scully: (whispers) 'Can you hear me ok?'

Mulder: (via earpiece) 'Loud and clear. How's it going?'

Scully: 'Ok! The bidding is up to one thousand dollars. There's an elderly man bidding against Jude. I'll ask if she knows him - he may know who his rival is... hang on, it's over... sold to the phone bidder. Did you manage to get the number ok?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes back to the Gunmen's van.

Frohike: 'Just a couple more seconds... damn!! It's a mobile and it's on the move... it's on Pennsylvainia Avenue... heading out of the city. Sorry guys, we tried.'

Doggett: 'No problem, thanks for trying.'

Mulder: 'What now? Wait until the Devil shakes hands with the President.'

Doggett: 'Wait and see what Byers comes up with. We'll wait here for Scully and see if Jude has come up with anything new.'

Scully comes back to the van

Scully: 'Sorry. Jude doesn't know anything about the other bidder and he disappeared before I could talk to him. What now? We've still no idea who the sword collector is so how do we stop them?'

Mulder: ' Try and stop them performing the ceremony and for that we need Byers to find out how they're going to do it. (to Byers) How's it going?'

Byers: ' I'm getting there I'm just waiting for my contacts to get back to me. I'll let you know as soon as I have anything.'

Doggett: 'Ok, we may as well give up for now. Thanks for your help, guys.'

They all go their separate ways; the Gunmen back to their office, Mulder, Scully and Doggett back to the Bureau.

FBI Headquarters - 2.30pm

Doggett: 'Sorry I lead you on a wild goose chase but I'm getting desperate now.'

He turns to leave the office.

Doggett: 'You'll let me know if Byers comes up with anything?'

Mulder: 'Sure.'

Doggett leaves. Scully looks troubled.

Mulder: 'What's up Scully?'

Scully: 'What if Jay Fernandez was right? What if God has turned his back on us and Satan is coming back to reign for 1000 years just like the Bible says? What if we can't stop this Mulder?'

Mulder puts his arm around her.

Mulder: 'Of course we can stop this. We've fought Alien Bounty Hunters, firestarters, dream killers, the Cancer Man and his cronies and every monster imaginable and we're still here.'

Scully still looks worried.

Scully: 'I need some proper guidance in this. I'm going to see Monsignior O'Bannion. I'll see you in the morning.'

Mulder: 'Ok, I'll see you later.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to Jude's office. She is on the phone.

Jude: 'Your Grace I have excellent news. The cross you wanted has just this minute arrived... yes I can do that... um, well, I finish here about six o'clock... certainly. I'll be with you about seven. Thank you.'

Jude looks uneasy. She picks up the phone and dials out.

Jude: 'Ah what the hell... yes, can I speak to Agent Doggett please?'

Mulder: 'I'm sorry, he's not here. Who's calling?'

Jude: 'It's Jude McLaren from Christies. Is that Agent Mulder?'

Mulder: 'Yes, it is. Can I help you?'

Jude: 'I don't know. It's this case with the swords. I don't know if this is relevant but a high powered member of the Catholic church had me find a cross for him. This cross is supposed to be indestructable. He said he wanted it as a memorial to a parishioner but... you're going to think I'm mad but I can sense a dark purpose in him. Please don't ask me how I know, I just do.'

Mulder: 'I know. Agent Doggett told me all about it. He said you always seemed to know what he was thinking.'

Jude: 'And I bet he still thinks I'm behind it! What about this church figure?'

Mulder: 'Who is it?'

Jude: 'Well, I don't know if I should... they've threatened me once and what if I'm wrong and you accuse a Clergyman of Devil worship?'

Mulder: ' Let us worry about that, they needn't know it was you.'

Jude: 'Well... if you're sure... it's Monsignior O'Bannion.'

Mulder: 'You're kidding?! He's one of the most respected men in Washington.'

Jude: 'I know, but it's just a feeling. I could be wrong.'

Mulder: 'You'll have to excuse me but someone's here to see me. I'll pass what you've told me on to Agent Doggett.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to Mulder's office.

The door opens. The Well Spoken Man enters and sits opposite Mulder.

Well Spoken Man: 'Good day to you, Agent Mulder. I do hope I haven't disturbed you.'

Mulder: 'Not at all. What can I do for you?'

Well Spoken Man: 'Hopefully it is what I can do for you. I have some information for you that may help.'

Mulder: 'Ok, shoot.'

Well Spoken Man: 'I understand you are helping Agent Doggett with the Devil worshippers.'

Mulder nods.

Well Spoken Man: 'The end is nearer than you think, but it's not the end you anticipated. These people must be stopped.'

Mulder: 'I know that. If we knew who they were we'd stop them. That was a hint by the way.'

Well Spoken Man: 'You know I can't give you direct information - it would "blow my cover" I believe is the term you use. You need to find the Wolf in Sheep's clothing and that is the only hint I can give you. The player's in this game are more powerful than me and they are pulling the strings now.'

Mulder: 'What do you mean, more powerful than the Director and Deputy Director?' (laughs) 'Are you telling me J Edgar Hoover is back from the grave?'

Well Spoken Man: 'Please try and take this seriously, Agent Mulder, I mean that it is out of the Bureau's hands now. Outside forces are trying to control this case - they are out to take the X Files away from you.'

Mulder: 'They've been trying to close down the X Files for years. Every new AD and Deputy Director tries but we're still here.'

Well Spoken Man: 'If you lose this case nothing will matter anymore. We'll wish they had come earlier. If you win you will lose your life's work and the information you have gathered will be useless. You can't let that happen. You are the only hope we have left. The other Agent's destinies have been decided already. You must not let them control yours.'

Mulder: 'Wait a minute, who's destinies? Doggett and Scully's? Just what's going to happen to them?'

Well Spoken Man: 'You know I can't tell you. The only thing that can save the X Files is if you stop Agent Doggett discovering "The Truth". That is the only way. I am sorry but that is all I can tell you for now.'

He gets up to leave.

Mulder: 'Wait a minute, you can't just leave like that! You must tell me more.'

Well Spoken Man: 'I am sorry, but I can't. You must act on the information I have given you. I can't help you any further.'

He leaves. Mulder sits staring into space trying to fit all the pieces together. He picks up the phone and dials.

Doggett: 'John Doggett.'

Mulder: 'It's me, Mulder. I've had a couple of strange things happen tonight. First Jude calls me and says she's getting dark purpose feelings from a clergyman and then a well spoken man tells me that we're players in a rigged game.'

Doggett: 'Mulder you're babbling.'

Mulder: 'I'm just passing on what she told me and this well spoken man speaks in riddles. He said that your destiny had already been decided and, whichever way the case went, someone here was going to lose.'

Doggett: 'Do you believe this man?'

Mulder: 'I suppose so. He's helped me before and what he said made some kind of sense. By the way, what does Wolf in Sheeps clothing mean to you?'

Doggett: 'Someone who's not what he appears to be, why?'

Mulder: 'Nothing. Just something someone said. Look, I'll see you tomorrow.'

Doggett: 'Ok, bye.'

As Mulder puts the phone down it rings again and he answers it.

Mulder: 'Mulder.'

Byers: 'It's Byers. I've found it - the devil raising ceremony. It needs seven swords used in religious war like the Crusades, a cross that was used as a symbol of defiance during religious strife and, this is the worst bit, human sacrifice.'

Mulder: 'Jesus Christ! Is there anyway we can stop this?'

Byers: 'The only way it can be fulfilled is if all the pieces are in place during the ceremony. If one piece is missing - say the cross or one of the swords - then no go. Oh, hang on, Frohike's got something... he says he's got that mobile number... it's 0708756934500462. Any use to you?'

Mulder: 'I'll get the appropriate department on to it. I need to find the wolf in sheep's clothing.'

Byers: 'Someone who's not what they appear to be?'

Inspiration flashes across Mulder's face as the penny finally drops.

Mulder: 'Oh my God! It IS Monsignior O'Bannion! That's who's trying to raise the Devil. The Wolf in Sheep's clothing, it makes sense now. Oh God, Scully! She's gone to see him about the end of the world!'

Byers: 'Be careful, Mulder, you could ruin yourself if you're wrong. He's got a lot of powerful friends. Do you want our help?'

Mulder: 'Yes, yes, I do! Meet me outside St Margaret's in an hour. I hope to God we're not too late...'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The X-Philes Series Archive

Reefgirl

09.09.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2984763

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more