The X-Philes - Hell on Earth Part 3

0 Conversations

Christies Auction House, Washington DC, 11ish

They reach Jude's office. Jude sits behind the desk, Mulder sits opposite and Doggett sits as far away as possible.

Mulder: 'So... Jude, we need your help. Agent Doggett here is investigating the death of a monk. He was killed during the theft of a sword. We've also found out that an identical one was stolen in England, another one was sold here a couple of days ago and, finally, one is due to be sold here in a couple more days. So we were wondering if you knew who bought the sword from you? We think that someone is collecting them,' (looks at Doggett) 'for what purpose we don't know.

Mulder hands her some papers.

Jude: 'Yes I sold a sword like this two days ago. So what?'

Doggett: 'Who to?'

Jude: 'I've never met the man. He contacts me via the internet. He was a phone bidder.'

Doggett: 'What about payment?'

Jude: 'Internet bank - and they won't give any information.'

Doggett: 'So you don't know anything about this man?'

Jude: 'No. Unlike you I don't interrogate my clients. If they want to remain anonymous they can. So what's really going on? What are you two hiding from me? You're not really interested in some Howard Hughes-type sword collector are you?'

*Mobile rings*

Mulder: 'Excuse me... hello.'

Mulder gets up and leaves.

Jude: 'So what do you want with my sword collector?'

Doggett: 'How badly does he want these swords?'

Jude: (sighs) 'I hate it when you do that - answer a question with a question.'

Doggett: 'So how bad does he want them?'

Jude: 'He paid me a retainer of two million dollars to hunt them down. Two are in museums, two are or were being sold here, two are in private collections and the last one I couldn't find.'

Doggett: 'Did you tell him which museums they were in?'

Jude: 'No of course not. What's the point, they won't sell them!'

Doggett: 'But he could steal them.'

She studies him thoughtfully.

Jude: 'This isn't about antique theft is it? There's more that you're not telling me.'

Doggett: 'You two could always see through me like I was made of glass. That's what creeped me about the two of you.'

Mulder returns.

Mulder: 'Sorry about that. Skinner wants me back in the office. I don't really want to leave you two alone but I've got no choice. (to Jude) 'Don't kill him, the paperwork is horrendous.

Jude: (Smiles) 'I promise.'

Mulder leaves. As he goes Jude looks at him and pulls her skirt over her knees. Mulder notices but says nothing.

Jude: 'So what aren't you telling me?'

Doggett: 'Please don't yell at me but I think that the devil worshippers are back and these swords may be involved somehow and, no, I don't think you and Vicki are involved this time.'

Jude: 'So you think that these swords are going to be used to bring the devil to earth like you thought the rings were last time?'

Doggett: 'Yes I do.'

Jude: 'It's a bit of a coincidence that it involves me again or is that what brought you here?'

Doggett: 'I've already told you, you are not a suspect. I had no idea you were here. I had no idea where you were for ten years and I did try to find you and Vicki to apologise for what I'd done.'

She studies him closely.

Jude: 'It's true isn't it? You really are sorry aren't you and there's something else... something I can't quite see.'

Doggett: 'Don't do that... just don't do that. I swear you can see into my soul.'

Jude looks faintly embarassed.

Jude: 'Don't be silly, of course I can't... so what do want from me?'

Doggett: 'Names, addresses; all your data on whoever bought that sword.'

Jude: 'I told you I don't know who he is. All I've got is an Email address.'

*Knock on the door*

Jude: 'Come in.'

A secretary enters.

Secretary: 'Ms McLaren, your next appointment is waiting outside.'

Jude: 'Ok send him in, Agent Doggett is finished here.' (Waits for her to leave) 'Ok, here's the email address. Now, do you mind - I do have a job to do.'

The door opens and a priest enters.

Jude: 'I Ah Monsignior O'Bannion, I'm sorry to have kept you. Agent Doggett was just leaving.'

Monsignior O'Bannion: 'Agent... Doggett I'm sorry if I'm disturbing anything important.'

Doggett: 'No, I was just leaving.' (to Jude) 'I'll call if I need anything else.'

He leaves.

Monsignior O'Bannion: 'I do hope I haven't interupted anything important.'

Jude: 'No. He wanted some help in tracing some stolen antiques that's all.'

O'Bannion picks up the paper with the sword on it.

Monsignior O'Bannion: 'Is this what was stolen?'

Jude: 'Yes' (laughs) 'He thinks it's being used for devil worship. Anyway I'm afraid I'm having no luck finding the cross you're looking for at the moment, but I have contacts in the Holy Land looking for me. That was the last known sighting of it. If you don't mind me asking what do you want it for?'

Monsignior O'Bannion: 'Well a parishioner of mine spent a lot of his life in the holy land and told
me the legand of how this cross was the only Christian relic left after the Moors invaded Jerusalem. It's supposed to have withstood fire, war,
earthquake and be indestructable. I thought it would be a nice memorial to him.'

Jude is not convinced. She keeps the look of suspicion off her face.

Jude: 'Ok, that's a nice gesture. I am getting closer to it I'm sure. I'll call you again in a week.'

They shake hands and he leaves. Jude sits back behind her desk and
picks up a photograph of her and her twin sister.

Jude: 'Too many secrets Vicki, I can see too many secrets. One is hiding something dark and one is hiding a lot of pain. I wish this hadn't been passed on to us. I wish it could have skipped a generation and as for him, why couldn't he have stayed in New York?'

She sighs, puts the photo down and starts to work at the computer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to a figure in shadows. It is talking on the phone.

Figure One: 'Hello, my dear. You were correct. He is back, he's investigating the ritual murders again and he's also been in contact with Ms McLaren.'

The screen splits in two to show another figure in shadows.

Figure Two: 'He obviously didn't take our last warning seriously. Does he suspect her again?'

Figure One: 'I don't think so. Anyway, she's too valuable where she is to manipulate this time. He is going to be trouble, though. He already suspects what the swords are being collected for. We'd better lay low and wait until all the pieces are in place.'

Figure 2: 'I agree. By the way, I have procured the fifth sword and there should be no problem getting the sixth. My agents tell me that the seventh will be with us soon. That just leaves the cross and it will be our time.'

Figure One: 'Yes. The cross is proving difficult and if she listens to him she may suspect what it's going to be used for. They can't ruin it again - our Lord will not be pleased.'

Figure Two: 'I think we should warn them off. She will be no problem but he will be difficult. Instead of falling apart last time it seemed to make him more determined even though he has no idea it was us.'

Figure One: 'Don't worry, we will find his weakness. I'll warn them to stay away from each other tonight.'

They hang up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to the X Files office. Mulder is on the phone to Scully.

Mulder: 'So, Scully, can you see if you can hurry this autopsy report on Brother Francis up? I'm sorry to ask you on your weekend off but it is rather urgent now.'

Scully: 'I'll see what I can do. So what's going on? I thought Agent Doggett would never set foot in the office again - not after what happened last time.'

Mulder: 'I think he wants to wrap this case up as soon as possible, it's kind of a personal crusade with him.'

Scully: 'Something you can identify with, Mulder. So who was the woman who hit him? A woman scorned maybe?'

Mulder: 'No, but something equally juicy - a suspect in a ritual murder case. He falsely accused her and the subsequent scandal caused her career and life to fall apart from what I can gather. There's something else about her that un-nerves me. I'm sure she can read minds or sense emotions. I was looking at her legs and I'm sure she knew what I was thinking.'

Scully: (laughs) 'That's no proof, Mulder. You're just a predictable man. She probably guessed what you were doing by the look on your face.'

Mulder: 'Am I that predictable?'

Scully: 'Yes!'

Mulder hears the lift door open.

Mulder: 'I've got to go Scully, I think he's back. Say hi to your Mum and Bill Jr for me. Bye.'

Scully: 'Bye, Mulder, and stay away from mind-reading women.'

Doggett enters the office, sits down and puts his head in his hands.

Doggett: 'Why me? Why the hell did she come back to haunt me?'

Mulder: (shrugs) 'So did you get anything out of her?'

Doggett: 'Only that the the buyer contacts her by email and bids by phone. I've checked with IT and the address is an Internet Cafe on the corner of 53rd and 3rd. I wish I'd never started this damn case.'

Mulder: 'I'm sure she feels the same way about you. I've spoken to Scully and she's going to try and hurry up the autopsy report. What are you going to do now?'

Doggett: 'Go home and get drunk.'

Mulder: 'Way to go! No, seriously, what are you going to do about finding the sword collecting devil worshipper?'

Doggett: 'It's no good staking out the auction house 'cos he bids by phone. We'll set up a wire tap and hope we can catch him that way. If it's the same group as before that's not going to happen. They're clever and they only stopped last time because someone got careless. That's what I think anyway. I don't think I can do any more until Monday when the auction takes place. I'll go and see Kersh and see if I can set it up. I'll see you on Monday.'

Mulder: 'Ok. Before you go there's something I want ask you about Jude. Is she telepathic?'

Doggett: 'What!'

Mulder: 'Can she read minds?'

Doggett: 'So you noticed it too.'

Mulder nods.

Doggett: 'I used to think it was that twin thing. You know, when one knows if the other is in trouble. Jude and her sister Vicki could always tell what the other was thinking. Then they started doing it to me. They could always tell if I was lying to them, trying to railroad them into a confession so yeah, I guess she can somehow.'

Mulder looks happy at this news.

Mulder: 'Great! The paranormal strikes. This could be a bona fide X File you've discovered for me again. I've got to speak to her. I've got to know what she can do. This may be the first bit of tangible evidence I've got to prove the paranormal exists and to keep the X Files open.'

Doggett: 'Well I'm glad you're happy. Personally she gives me the creeps. I'll see you on Monday.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The X-Philes Series Archive

Reefgirl

26.08.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2947593

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more