Bosham to Lincoln - A Journey Through Roman Britain Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Bosham to Lincoln - A Journey Through Roman Britain

1 Conversation

This is a journey from Bosham (Sussex) to Lincoln using Stane Street, Ermine Street, the Fen Causeway and the Peddars Way1.

The seasoned Roman traveller would have had no trouble following the way as the journey uses several roads that would have had well-placed milestones to mark it out. They would have travelled in groups as the road was not entirely safe; travellers had been known to have been captured, robbed and sold into slavery. It became so bad that Augustus Caesar passed legislation in an attempt to control the problem.

This would have been a very important east-coast route. Four roads were used and between them they formed one of the main routes in Roman Britain, linking the ports of the south coast with the east coast.

The Journey Runs:

  • On Stane Street2 from Bosham3 and Chichester to London.
  • On Ermine Street from London to Water Newton.
  • On the Fen Causeway from Water Newton to Longthorpe.
  • On the Peddars Way from Longthorpe to the ferry at Holme Next the Sea.

Travellers on the road were served by a system of way stations or mansios. Privately-owned Cauponae were also established along the routes, providing basic hostel-like accommodation. However, the upper classes would use the better tabernae; these began as houses on the roadside offering a service similar to the modern 'bed and breakfast' system. It must be remembered that travellers would need sufficient money to pay the various tolls along the way.

The Start of the Journey

This journey starts at Bosham Harbour, a clear starting point on the south coast.

We are going to travel back in time to 100 - 200 AD, when the journey described in this Entry would have been possible. You will see over 14 settlements, from the grand to the rural. Some of these existed to serve the garrison of the fort near where they are built, and to give shelter to the travellers on the roads. The journey on foot will take a minimum of about ten days - that's assuming you walk eight hours a day, travelling an average of 32 to 33 miles per day. It is interesting to note that the longest distance between any two points on this journey is the 27 miles between London and Braughing. This is less than one day's travel for foot soldiers, although wagons and carts could travel as slowly as eight miles a day. All distances given are starting from Bosham.

Key to the condition of the towns and sites today:

  1. No longer visible.
  2. Building platforms, mounds and crop marks.
  3. Some ruins are visible above ground.
  4. Visible site with museum support.
  5. A major site and tourist attraction.

Bosham Harbour

Roman name: Magnus Portus
Translation: The Great Harbour
Condition: 4

Bosham Harbour4, a Roman naval base and military port established by the Emperor Claudius in 43 AD. The base would have had facilities for the men based there, including temples, a basilica and baths. The other buildings were of timber and stone. The Roman engineers created a fresh water supply, known today as the mill stream, and cistern.

Total so far: 0 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On local road continue east from Bosham to Chichester - 4 miles
  • On local road continue northwest from Bosham to the port of Bitterne (Clavsentum) - 24 miles

Chichester

Roman name: Noviomagus Reginorum
Translation: The New Port
Condition: 5

Founded in 44 AD, as the Roman Legionary base of II Legion Augusta5. A town developed here to serve the base. Sited in a prosperous farming area6, it was a thriving settlement of timber-framed and stone houses and municipal buildings; there was a fine forum. There was a sophisticated water supply system: a number of wells were dug in the town, water was taken from the wells and stored in tanks, and then distributed via lead pipes to fountains and bath houses. Trade developed with the aid of the port and market. There were several temples in the town and the main god was:

DEO IOM IN HONOREM DOMVS DIVINAE SACRVM
- The God Jupiter Best and Greatest

There were also temple dedications to Neptune and Minerva.

The Legions moved out in 47 AD leaving the developing town of 50,000 sq metres enclosed by earth and stone walls. These were replaced in 91 AD with new stone walls with four fine stone gateways. The town became the governmental base of Tiberius Claudius Cogidubnus, the client king, who had a residence at Fishbourne Palace. In 80 AD, an amphitheatre was constructed outside the town's walls.

The Roman Palace of Fishbourne (5)

Due to its ability to accommodate larger ships, a small supply base developed at Fishbourne, one mile east of Chichester. In 75 AD, a sumptuous villa was built for local ruler Cogidubnus. It was replaced by a palatial residence of over 90 rooms, with mosaic floors, gardens and baths in 65 AD.

Total so far: 4 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On Stane Street continue northeast to Hardham 14 miles
  • To the northwest to Winchester - (Venta Belgarum) 32 miles
  • To the Silchester Road went northwest to Brighton - (Novus Portus) 26 miles
  • To the Silchester Road went south to the town's seaport near Selsey 8 miles

Bignor Villa Estate - (4)

Stane Street passes a landmark on this part of the journey - the villa estate of Bignor. It was the largest of the many estates in the area, its wealth evidenced by mosaics and hypocausts. The estate dominated this part of the Sussex downs, with the farm centred round the magnificent 65-room courtyard villa.

Hardham

Condition: 2

This settlement was situated on a crossing of the river Arun, east of the point where it joins with the river Rother. It was defended with earth-and-timber ramparts and faced with a ditch. It had a variety of timber-framed houses and a few trade buildings and shops, and was the focal point for trade along the Rother valley as far as Duncton.

Total so far: 18 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On Stane Street continue northeast to Alfoldean - 12 miles
  • To the east to Hassocks 17 miles

Alfoldean

Condition: 2

This small walled settlement of 9,000 sq metres was situated on the banks of the River Arun and on Stane Street. It was a settlement of timber-framed houses and some higher status homes with window glass. There were a few trade buildings and shops, a mansion and some official buildings. Iron mines lay to the east; Roman iron was traded as rods or bars and the trade in scrap was a major local source of supply. The iron was not cast, it was forged while red-hot with hammer and anvil. Sheet iron was joined with rivets or welded while white-hot. There was some local trade in tiles made nearby7.

Total so far: 30 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On Stane Street continue northeast to Ewell - 20 miles
  • To the northwest to the temple at Farley Heath - 9 miles

Ewell

Roman name: Fantaburna?
Translation: The River Spring
Condition: 3

Originally founded in the Bronze Age, Ewell became a prosperous settlement of timber-framed and stone houses, stone-built municipal buildings, trade buildings and warehouses. The town was a local centre for the pottery industry supplying the whole province. There were many kilns near the town at Epsom and Ashtead, and the area was home to other trades. There were several villa estates in the area at:

  • Walton Heath
  • Walton-on-the-Hill
  • Ashtead

There was a temple overlooking the town nearby at Hatch Furlong, where the animal sacrifice was dogs. These were sacrificed to an unknown deity; the bones were found in deep shafts cut into the chalk.

Total so far: 50 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On Stane Street continue northeast to London (Londinium) - 15 miles

Stane Street

Another course of Stane Street is from St Albans to Colchester; 56 miles, via Welwyn, Braughing, Bishop's Stortford, Great Dunmow, Braintree and Colchester. However, the route between the two parts of Stane Street is unknown. If it existed it would make the course of this road viewed on a map an inverted 'L'. This resembles the course of Watling Street, so it is not impossible.

Ermine Street

Follow the next part of the journey an Ermine Street; this will take you through the following towns, and after 80 miles you join with The Fen Causeway.

London

Total so far: 65 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On Ermine Street continue north to Braughing 27 miles

Braughing

Total so far: 92 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On Ermine Street continue north to Wimpole Lodge - 16 miles

Wimpole Lodge

To continue your journey:

  • On Ermine Street continue northwest to Godmanchester - Durovigvtum - 15 miles

Godmanchester

Total so far: 123 miles

To continue your journey:

  • On Ermine Street continue northeast to Water Newton (Durobrivae) - 19 miles

Water Newton

Total so far: 142 miles

To continue your journey:

The Fen Causeway

  • On The Fen Causeway continue east to Longthorpe - 3 miles
  • To the southwest to Ashton - 8 miles
  • To the northwest to Great Casterton 12 miles

Longthorpe Roman Legionary Camp

Condition:2

A camp of the IX Hispania with attached auxiliary cavalry forces, later a Claudian Vexillation fortress that was built in 48 AD during the troubles with the Iceni.

Total so far: 145 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On the Fen Causeway continue east to Downham West (Denver) 26 miles

Downham West Near Denver

Roman name: Durovigora
Translation: Winding River
Condition: 1

This settlement was situated on the Fen Causeway. Little is known about the site, but it is likely that it was a settlement of a mixture of quality stone buildings and timber-framed houses. There were also a few trade buildings and shops.

Total so far: 171 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On the Fen Causeway continue northeast to Kempstone - 20 miles
  • To the southwest to Cambridge (Duroliponte) - 28 miles

Kempstone

Condition: 2

The settlement was on the southern shores of the Wash, good connections with a network of prehistoric trackways had already been established before the Roman invasion. It was a small settlement of timber-framed houses and a few trade buildings and warehouses; the main trade in the area was iron smarting. The raw material was smelted and traded as rods or bars.

To continue your journey:

  • On the Peddars Way continue northeast to Holme next the Sea 20 miles.
  • To the north to Brancaster 20 miles

Total so far: 191 miles.

Holme next the Sea

Condition: 2

The settlement was a ferry point on the southern shores of the Wash (Metaris Aestuarium) with piers and docking facilities. There were good connections with Kempstone and the surrounding settlements; the trackways having been established since the Neolithic period, many years before the arrival of the Romans. There is also evidence for a small trade port. It was a settlement mainly of timber-framed houses and a few trade buildings, but there were some warehouses serving the small port.

Total so far: 211 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On the ferry crossing northwest to Skegness

The ferry across the Wash from Kempstone to Holme next the Sea

Skegness

Condition: 2

The town was founded as a port, good connections to the sea obviously being important for trade. There is evidence for a port. A ferry point connecting (south by ferry) to Holme next the Sea and a road connection south to London. It was a settlement of timber-framed houses and a few trade buildings and a range of warehouses and shops.

Total so far: 211 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • To the west to Horncastle (Bannovalum) 20 miles

Horncastle

Roman name: Bannovalum
Condition: 1

The town was founded as a defended settlement. Substantial defensive works, similar to those at Portchester, were built, together with the good trade connections that were important for the small town. There is no evidence for a port, but there could have been landing areas present. The settlement was founded on a road connecting to Lincoln and the Fosse Way, and it was built as a defended settlement with earth-and-timber ramparts and faced with a ditch. It was a settlement of timber-framed houses and a few trade buildings and shops. There is a possibility that the fort at the core of the settlements is one of the coastal defensive forts known as the Saxon shore forts8 .

Total so far: 231 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • To the west to Lincoln (Lindum) 22 miles

Lincoln

Roman name: Lindum
Translation: A Pool Of Dark Water
Condition: 4

The settlement of Lincoln was first founded as a legionary fort of the IX legion in 46 - 47 AD.

The town trade flourished thanks to good connections to London via Ermine Street. A basilica, forum, temple and baths were built; these were followed by a temple complex. The water-supply system was similar to that at Chichester with well water put into tanks and piped to fountains and baths.

Lincoln's main deities were:

  • DEO MARTI - The God Mars
  • DEO MERCVRESIVM - The God Mercury

The homes were built of timber and stone and mosaic floors were not uncommon. There was a wide variety of shops. Bronze-making, brick, tile and pottery production were all established in the town which had grown to a settlement of 40,000 sq metres, by this time. Lincoln was the terminus of the Fosse Way. Travellers could continue north or south on Ermine Street.

To continue your journey:

The total journey was 253 miles.

To continue your journey:

  • On the Fosse Way continue southwest to Brough (Crococalana) 10 miles
  • On Ermine Street north to Owmby 10 miles
  • On Ermine Street south to Ancaster - (Causennae) 17 miles

Notes on Roman Roads

Initially, the cost of the road was borne by the state; after that it was the responsibility of the local government to raise the money to keep the road in good repair. An official called the Curatores Viarum was appointed who had to raise the money to maintain the roads in his care.

Roman roads were not free. There were tolls collected at the towns along the course of the road. As a point of interest, the bridges were a particular source of revenue. This explains the survival, and continuous use, of fords along the routes.

1From the Latin pedestar, meaning 'on foot.'2Stane Street runs from Bosham to Colchester as a whole.3A sheltered harbour with trade routes to Gaul and the Empire.4The Great Harbour is a general term that would have meant several harbours including Portchester (Portus Ardaoni), a harbour sheltered by the Isle of Wight and with access to Gaul.5The Camp of Cissa, this is the root of the name Chichester6The Chilgrove valley boasts four fine examples of farming villas.7Map ref TQ185545. You can walk this part of Stane Street. The road runs from Cherkley Court to Tyrells Wood, crosses the M25 where it becomes Pebble Lane.8The Saxon shore forts Horncastle (uncertain), Brancaster, Burgh, Lympne, Bradwell, Reculver, Richborough, Dover, Pevensey and Portchester.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A29321435

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more