Take it to the Max!

0 Conversations

The Take It To The Max column banner

Part Three

A walk in the park

When we first talked about getting a dog, one of the things we envisaged doing was walking in the forest with him. So it was rather lovely to be able to take him to the beautiful autumn colours in Hillsborough Forest Park, about 3 miles away from us, and stroll around the lake. So far he seems disinterested in the ducks and swans swimming on the lake, but I think that may not last. They're a good swimming breed, with webbed paws. It was a bit scary letting him off the lead, and trusting that the recall training we'd done and his desire to stay near us would prevent him from dashing out of sight.

Sweet like chocolate

The training sessions are continuing - I make special liver cake which usually causes everyone to leave the kitchen, although the last time some of the kids remarked that liquidised liver doesn't look unlike molten chocolate. So 'chocolate for dogs' it is then. Actually, the last time I liquidised it there was splashes of blood everywhere and it looked more like a scene from a Scary Movie than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The best way to train is little and often, so we try to have a few 5 minute sessions each day, either in the garden or round the block. Walking to heel (command: Close!) is still far from perfect - he gets distracted by everything from snails to leaves being gusted along the road, to chestnuts, and even a tiny frog hopping along the footpath. On the Sit! Command he's still inclined to come round in front of me, although we're working towards sitting by my side. His best move is Come! Which is given by stretching out my arms wide, and he'll bound over to me, ears a-floppin'. Our homework this week was Twist!, where, while walking to heel you get the dog to turn round in a circle. It's a good distraction technique if you don't want them to be chasing off after some danger you can see up ahead.

Sleeping quarters

We were resistant to using a dog crate at first, because it looks so like a cage, but were finally persuaded and he has taken to sleeping in it very well. It makes him feel secure and protected, as well as limiting the damage he can do during the night. It's also helpful for toilet training as dogs don't like to mess the place where they sleep. Or eat - if he does do a wee in the house we feed him on that spot next time. In the garden, he has a kennel to give protection from the heat, or more usually in this country, the rain. For this he has a rival: Mittens the cat is rather fond of the kennel too, and can often be found having a crafty snooze in it when no-ones watching. I still think we're a long way off the 2 of them curling up side by side, although when the fire's lit they'll sleep at opposite ends of the same hearth rug. Which is a start. While he's in the house during the day, he has a rather glorious leopard-skin and black leather basket, where he'll droop his head over the side and snore loudly.

Feelin' hot, hot, hot!

As I write this he's feeling a bit poorly - we took him to the vet after a weekend of runny poo, loss of appetite, high temperature and no energy. (Guess how I spent the extra hour granted to us by British Summer Time?) The vet gave him an injection which made him yelp - all his other jabs have passed uneventfully. Plus some antibiotic tablets to take each day. I feel so sorry for the poor wee man (wee? He's now over 17 kg!) and yes I do miss the mad half-hour when he likes nothing better than to wrestle my left Croc off my foot and carry it off to his basket for a good chew. The left one's definitely tastier than the right one, apparently. The biggest worry with pups, who eat anything and everything - is that they swallow something that causes an obstruction or a twist in their stomach. The big danger sign to look out for is vomiting.

Say, say, say!

Talking of the yelp of pain, I'm getting to know what the different barks and whines mean. 'I need the loo' is sit at the top of the stairs and whine softly. 'Come and play with me!' is forelegs and head down, hind quarters up, tail curved right round over his back. 'Get up you lazy lot!' is the barking session that begins about 5.30 am, and is one that I'd be very happy to be phased out, thank you Max!

Take it to the Max Archive

Beatrice

15.11.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A29062235

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more