A Conversation for Bumper Sticker Theology

Counter strike stickers

Post 1

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

Great article! smiley - smiley

Here's two religious bumber stickers and two of my favorite stickers to counteract them.

'In case of Rapture, driver will dissapear'

countered with:

'When the Rapture comes, can I have your car?'

and

'God is my co-pilot'

countered with:

'God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I ate him'

smiley - smiley


War of the Fishies

Post 2

ZenMondo

Those are pretty funny. The more "pushy" Christian stickers fall under the category I call "Adversarial Christian Dogma". One of the most amusing examples have been all the different fish that are showing up on cars these days. It all started out with Early Christians having a secret sign so as not to be burned or thrown to the lions (back in those day's it was the Pagans killing the Christians). The greek word for fish is ICTHYS, which is also an acronym for something like Iesus Christos Theo-something, something something. So fast forward about 1900 years, and the then secret symbol is now pretty damn blatant, since its the Christians killing the Pagans now.

So the "Jesus Fish" gets pretty popular and as a joke someone makes a "Darwin Fish" (with legs). Well this gets some Christians all mad, so in comes the "Adversarial Christian Dogma" with bumper stickers and the like doing all sorts of mean things to the Darwin Fish.

My FAVORITE, however is one where there is a big fish labled "TRUTH" eating the Darwin Fish. I love that so much, since as my wife so wisely pointed out is a PERFECT EXAMPLE **OF** DARWINISM.

smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley

-- ZenMondo


Counter strike stickers

Post 3

Miss Archy

I love bumper stickers...anyway, here's an interesting 'religious' one I've found:

'Geez if you love honkus.'

smiley - smiley


War of the Fishies

Post 4

Ado!

Dear Zen Mondo,
Would you think it appropriate for FFFF members to create a Fish with legs here for the guide?
Openness is the key fer shur, would it be stirring too much do you think? Would the Guide allow such an obvious smear? Your thoughts?
Great Article smiley - smiley ;-0 smiley - bigeyes --- Ado!


War of the Fishies

Post 5

ZenMondo

I really don't care to participate in the war of the fishies, but I don't see any problems with using a legged-"Darwin"-fish graphic. H2G2 won't host it probably, but no reason why something that small could not be hosted just about anywhere. I'm not sure what the deal with everyone displaying a fish around here is... It may have something to do with a "Babel Fish". IT was a link at babelfish.altavista.com that led me to h2g2...


War of the Fishies

Post 6

Ado!

Fair enough too. --- Ado!


Counter strike stickers

Post 7

Martin Harper

My personal favourite is just to pick random religions, dead and alive, and use them...

"Zeus loves you"
"My other car is the Chariot of the Sun"
"the Book of the Dead: the truth is in here"
"Men are from Mars, Xenu is from another galaxy"
"Keep your distance - Witch on board"

That's for reading, not using - I like my car unadorned and less likely to get smashed... smiley - winkeye


Counter strike stickers

Post 8

ZenMondo

Reminds me of when I was in high school and would 'translate' common phrases into different mythological equivalents.

"Oh my Zeus! What the Hades is going on here?!" Still escapes my lips from time to time. smiley - smiley


Counter strike stickers

Post 9

The Cow

I have a friend who transliterates into Greek for no apparent reason.

Would a Shim fish be a good anti-Christian logo?


Counter strike stickers

Post 10

ZenMondo

What is a 'Shim Fish'?


Counter strike stickers

Post 11

Martin Harper

A special fish that only Shim can use in the forums (it's blue). Search for Shim Fish in h2g2, and you'll get a fair idea of the controversy... smiley - smiley


Counter strike stickers

Post 12

ZenMondo

Oh... *THAT* Shim Fish.

No, I don't think any fish (even a "Darwin", "Evolve", "Buhdda", "Cthulhu", or "Jabba" fish) would make a good anti-Christian logo. The fish is to closely associated with Christianity as it is. Originaly the fish was a "secret sign" for the Christians when they were the ones being persecuted (The Greek word for fish is "Icthys" (it looks like IXOYE on the bumper-stickers)and is an acronym of some kind). So really any fish can harken to this secret sign, not just the popular single-line "Jesus" fish.


Counter strike stickers

Post 13

The Cow

Yes, but it's DEAD.


Counter strike stickers

Post 14

ZenMondo

So's the guy on the cross, it doesn't stop them from using a crucifix as a symbol.


Counter strike stickers

Post 15

The Cow

I think most of them would disagree...


Counter strike stickers

Post 16

ZenMondo

Well he ain't sleeping up there. Especially on the crucifixes where the 5th wound (gash in the side) is displayed. Sure, he didn't *STAY* dead, but the image of a Crucified Christ is a dead Christ.

SO... fish, dead or otherwise would not make a good anti-Christian symbol. Why would you want one any way? Then you too could fall victum to bumber-sticker theology!


...so what happens when a Christian sells his/her car to a non-Christian?

Post 17

DarenA67

Do they have to remove the fish, because the car itself can't be a Christian?
You can't have a Christian car, in the same way that you can't have Christian music (here starts the debate for all you Stryper/Cliff/Delirious/U2/etc. fans - and I'm a Christian who makes music). Or do they leave the fish on, so it bears it for life, like a Citroen 2CV's "Atomkraft? Nein Danke!" sticker? Or leave that choice to the new owner.. to masquerade as a Christian, or risk scarring the car by removing the fish (like a failed tattoo removal)?

I think perhaps the best anti-Christian car symbol might be to use the 'Christian' fish on your car, then drive aggressively and illegally fast - that would help turn people against us Christians .....or you could leave that to some of the Christians who already drive appallingly.

Daren
smiley - fishsmiley - winkeye
Christian driver, with unmolested tailgate (ooer!)


Key: Complain about this post