A Conversation for Walls (FM rescue)

A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 41

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

Well thanks guys smiley - smiley.

Maybe you can convince brolean to stick A2424638 into PR, or let you incorporate it here....


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 42

Skankyrich [?]

I shall certainly ask smiley - smiley

Entry: Walls (FM rescue) - A28966729
Author: Skankyrich [?] - U931109 and friends


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 43

Milos

Would it be worthwhile to consider splitting this - especially if there are lots more things to include - into two entries? One for walls as physical barriers, the other for metaphorical walls?

The Berlin Wall entry can't be submitted to PR, I don't think, because it was included in its entirety as part of Mu Beta's We Didn't Start the Fire project. Although, I think the Berlin Wall probably deserves its own entry. I'm not sure I could modify it enough to make it noticably different from what's already been edited.

Meanwhile, I can try to pare it down some to be included here.

(broelan)


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 44

Milos

A few notes on what you have already:

>>Your link for White Horse leads to a deleted entry (which is a shame, because I was curious - the land of the White Horse features in a book I read recently).

>>A fire wall can also be the "wall" between the engine compartment and the cab in a vehicle, also the wall between a house and an attached garage. I would think a wall made of fire would be a 'wall of fire', not a 'fire wall', but then again, maybe I'm just not reading the right books.

>>Worth mentioning that a 'wall of silence' is a barrier in such investigations? Not just that no one will talk to police, but that the silence could be a barrier between solving and not solving the case?


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 45

broelan

Is this enough for the Berlin Wall?

"The Berlin Wall was erected in August 1961 to prevent people from leaving East Germany for the better economy of West Germany. The wall bisected the city without regard to streets or train lines, even utility lines were cut off. The Wall was heavily guarded to prevent attempts to scale it, and more than 200 people died in the attempt over the course of the Wall's history.

In late 1989 the Berlin Wall began to come down, paving the way for the reunification of Germany. By 1991 only a few sections of the Wall remained, and the path where it stood is now marked by paving stones for rememberance."


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 46

Skankyrich [?]

That's great, broe - I've made those changes and added your Berlin Wall section. I'd prefer to keep this as one Entry, I think, even if it means whittling it down a bit here and there. I've credited you as a co-writer as well smiley - ok

If anyone fancies writing anything on the Great Wall, Jericho or any of the Metaphorical Walls, feel free smiley - smiley If not, I'll get them done as soon as I am able, which could be a few more days.


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 47

Skankyrich [?]

Or a few more weeks smiley - smiley Not forgotten, though!


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 48

Vip

Wondering how it's all coming along. It's a huge undertaking, this 'un.

Just thought I'd let you know that since I put my smiley - 2cents into it, my EG article on Blewbury has gone in at A26179239.

Looks a lot better than when I left it. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 49

Milos

Another wall for you, if you're interested:

Wall Street is the financial district of the United States, but originally there really was a wall. It was built by settlers in 1644 to protect the New Amsterdam settlement from Native American and British attack. The street ran alongside the wall and, when the wall was taken down in 1699 by the British, the street remained.

On 17 May, 1792, the Buttonwood Agreement was signed under a buttonwood tree on Wall Street creating an organisation of stock brokers that would, on 8 March, 1817, rename themselves the New York Stock and Exchange Board, headquartered at 40 Wall Street. Today the New York Stock Exchange is one of the largest in the world and is one of several stock exchanges located on Wall Street.

I really should get back to the Berlin Wall entry...


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 50

Skankyrich [?]

Oh, poo.

Right. Can anyone do the Great Wall of China or Jericho? If so, I can do the rest. Pronto.

Thanks for the encouragement and reminder, Vip, and for Wall Street, broelan - appreciated and appreciated and added respectively.

smiley - cheers


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 51

Skankyrich [?]

Of course, when I said broelan, I meant Milos. It's so easy to get you two confused...


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 52

broelan

smiley - evilgrin


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 53

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - lurk


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 54

Skankyrich [?]

Come on, someone must be able to handle at least a bit of post 50....


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 55

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I would love to do the walls of Jericho, but at the moment it's a bitsmiley - ermtiming-wise. Holiday coming up. You know, those kind of excuses.


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 56

Skankyrich [?]

Ah, go on. It doesn't take much. In any case, this has been hanging around for ages, so another couple of weeks won't hurt smiley - smiley


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 57

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

I think Obama must have read this entry


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 58

Milos

Just a quick word, by now it's obvious I'm not going to have time to do anything with the Berlin Wall entry, so if anyone's game they can take what I've started and run with it.


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 59

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

*knock screem*

err, hello? Hello, anyone here?


A28966729 - Walls (FM rescue)

Post 60

Skankyrich [?]

It's nearly done. I just need a bit of help over the line...


Key: Complain about this post