CONNECT AFRICA - Next Steps:

0 Conversations

Next Steps:

1. A research grant for the Pilot Project is currently being sought from specialist development funding organisations with an educational bias. Several have been identified and are being approached.

2. Mozambique has been chosen as an ideal Country in which to carry out the Pilot. A suitably remote area in the Inhambane region with 20 communities within a 100KM radius is currently being researched and discussions with the Mozambique authorities are taking place. Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, South Africa and Ghana are also being considered for the Pilot.

3. DATASAT (a UK satellite management company) has agreed to provide the satellite resource, ground infrastructure, management systems and technical personnel. The design of the service will need to be finalised and the equipment procured.

4. Two 4x4 vehicles on loan for 6 months are currently being sought. Specialist vehicle suppliers are currently being approached.

5. A TV production company has been retained to film and produce a documentary of the pilot project and discussions are currently being carried out with the BBC for a half hour slot to broadcast it Worldwide.

6. The 6 month pilot scheme is scheduled to be deployed in early 2005 with results published in Q2 2005. Discussions are also currently underway to participate in NEPAD's eSchools project in 2005.

7. The pilot results will then be incorporated into a detailed business plan for the whole of Africa.

8. International development funding organisations such as the World Bank, the UNDP and the DfID in the UK will then be approached to assist in funding the National and International roll-out of Connect Africa.

9. The 44 RASCOM (Regional African Satellite Communications Organisation) signatories will then be approached to discuss the deployment of a Connect Africa service in their respective countries.

10. The Connect Africa target will be to have connected all rural communities in Africa by 2015, in line with the UN Millennium target of reducing poverty by 50% by 2015.

Back to the CONNECT AFRICA page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2892486

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more