A Conversation for Welsh Language

To be changed

Post 1

Huw B

I will be updating and changing this entry soon.

All comments are welcome.


To be changed

Post 2

Rob

I just looked at the brief overview on Wales put up today( http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A580303 ).Both of your entries mention the language -although neither in great detail-perhaps you could put up some common phrases and quirks.
Also could you tell me whether 'lookyou' and 'whatever' are used frequently amongst the English speaking welsh anywhere in Wales!?!
*Unanswered question from days of reading Enid Blyton*
smiley - winkeye


To be changed

Post 3

Huw B

My intent is to keep this article (with some alterations) and create 2 new articles linked to it - something like "The History of the Welsh language" and "The Orthography of the Welsh language". Then people can have an overview and also look into more details on the history and the language itself if they wish. I've pretty much finished them on Word, I just need to put aside some time to stick them on H2G2.

'Look you' is never used in my experience. It is the literal translation of the equivalent Welsh phrase "Edrychwch chi" since English word order is the reverse of Welsh in many instances. Presumably some individuals might say it (or have used it in the past) but I am not aware of it being used by any entire group or area within Wales.
I am not aware of any special use of the word 'whatever' in Wales at all (even in stereotype), and not having read Enid Blyton at any stage have no idea what you're referring to!

The English (and those who get their information from English language sources) often seem to have strange ideas of how the Welsh speak. I find it odd that terms like 'boyo' (which I think is actually Irish) are referred to, but no mention of common terms like 'by here' or 'mun' or the ubiquitous use of 'like' in some areas. I've met 2 people who think the Welsh say 'innit' a lot which I thought was supposed to be 'Larndarn'-speak. Maybe I should write an article on the English spoken in Wales to clarify matters!


To be changed

Post 4

Rob

Thanks for clearing that up.At least it will stop be from being beaten to a bloddy pulp in a welsh pub smiley - ill
The use of whatever and lookyou are metioned in at least 2 famous five books, which have for some unknown reason
stuck in my head.Obviously the author(ess?) had met some pretty abnormal people in your country
Nevermind
smiley - spider


To be changed

Post 5

Huw B

Unfortunately she may never have visited. People in England (and I only speak of England due to my limited experience) often have all sorts of ideas about Wales with little or no experience of it.
I find it out that even in the media they consider it OK to mispell or mispronounce Welsh placenames when they would take great pains to get other languages right.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more