How to get a job after university

2 Conversations

The big bad world outside of the nice, safe and comfortable confines of university can be a scary and daunting place.

No longer can you spend all day in a drunken stupor, whittling away the hours with the wondrous invention that is playstation. Neither can you subject yourself and your fellow flatmates to day-time TV. You must get a job.

Now, calm down. It's not all that scary. If you follow these brief pointers, then you'll be well on your way to contributing to society, as you have been dreaming of for years. Not like that idea? OK, well, you'll be on your way to earning some money. Better? Thought so.

Before you start applying for jobs (That comes a little later) you need to consider where to find these jobs. Your first port of call should be your university careers office, or failing that, a local employment office. Newspapers and professional journals also publish lists of vacancies which you may want to think about. Avoid employment agencies. They may find you a job, but they will steal your pay once you get the job, and often, you can find a better job on your own. Lastly, try some recruitment website on-line. They're easy to find, just type in recruitment and an are you're interested in, into a search engine. You will need to trawl through a lot of information, but it may be worth it.

Once you've done this, you are now ready to think about applying for these jobs you fancy.

Firstly, you can mass apply. Most graduates do this. Sit on the internet or in your university's careers service and apply for every job you can find. It doesn't matter if you are qualified or not. Apply. Make yourself sound enthusiastic and willing to learn. Make out that your degree, although not directly relevant, has bestowed upon you many highly useful transferable skills. Lie if you have to, no, embellish. That's less dishonest.

To do this you need a carefully considered CV. For this, ask your careers officer or a friend or parent who regularly sees and deals with other peoples' CVs in the context of employment. You also need a glowing, rich cover letter. If you can include a bit of humour in your letter, it helps it stand out and already gives any potential employer a good feeling about you. Just don't be silly. (No knock, knock jokes...) That doesn't help. (People have tried that before and have gotten nowhere!)

Further to this standard approach, there are other avenues that you can seek. The best way to get a job, unfortunately, is to network. It's a well known, and sad, fact that life is all about who you know. If you can think of anyone you know personally who can help. Use them! Mention to as many people as you can what you want to do. They may be able to help, or know someone who can.

If all that doesn't work, then get experience. It may go against every fibre in your body, but you may have to work for free to gain some experience. Employers love it when they can see that you have worked in a related field, or even have a varied and colourful work history. Try and get yourself week's work experience in as many different kinds of firms as possible. Work in a shop, a surveyors, a lawyer’s office, in a bank. Avoid brothels, sex shops and mafia rings. Those don't look good. (Unless you are seeking employment in those circles) A bonus to doing this is not only does it look good, but it lets you experience different careers and you may just find one you adore. Also, it will give you some excellent contacts, a network if you will.

So, Mass Applying, NETWORKING!!!, Experience.
Be creative and make yourself stand out. It's really not that hard to do.

One last piece of advice. When you get interviews, DO YOUR RESEARCH!! Nothing makes an employer madder than people who don't know about their company.

Now, go forth and get jobs. Make money. Spend money. Avoid becoming alcoholics. Enjoy life. And wear sunscreen.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2862975

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more