Happiness and art, depression and genius

0 Conversations

right off the cuff

let me say that when I was in Jr. High School during the ladder part of the 70s, I was trying to read everything I could get my hands on that I could bear to read.

I couldn't trust adults or other kids to suggest what I might read. Most of them were aliterate idiots.


So I would read about depressed, suicidal and insane artists, scientists, writers and musicians. It seemed a strong possibility to me that their mental conditions were partially caused by having to constantly defend their work and their world view to idiots. Normal, foolish and stupid people who have nothing better to do than ask, "Why are you doing that?" Of course, these are the idiots who weren't paying the artists, scientists, writers or musicians. The truly worst and most likely to turn you into a quivering wreck are the idiots with money who are willing to pay for what they think they might understand someday if it's explained to them in very small words with very big diagrams over a snifter of three hundred year old French soda pop...


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A28587865

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more