The Dollar Store

0 Conversations

The Dollar Store

At one time in America's distant past, the penny was considered the smallest amount of money that anything could be bought with. At that time shopping was not a popular passtime since it was limited to the general store in the center of town and the peddler who came by once a month with his cart.

Then, a few decades later, the early years of what we think of now as "shopping" began. By that time things had changed and the dime was the minimmum currency. As a result, the "dime store" came into being. There is some uncertainty as to what you could actually buy there for a dime - most of the items were more than that - but I'm sure there was a factual basis for the name in someone's mind. Since then, something very simple, common, or cheaply made is often referred to as a "dime store" thing, as in the comment, "that sure is a dime-store wedding ring you have there. It looks like it's made of plastic!"

Now the minimmum amount of currency required to purchase anything except McDonald's hamburgers and those little plastic gumball machine prizes, is a dollar. Hence, the Dollar Store. The name for this one is no mere metaphor. Every item the store has to offer really costs one dollar. They really have a lot of good, useful stuff, believe it or not. Every time I go there I ask myself how they can sell this stuff for only a dollar and remain in business (a booming business).

Well, they don't use price tags, because every item costs a dollar. They don't need a bar code scanner for the same reason. Doing inventory for them is probably a store manager's dream come true and the cashiers don't need as much training because they only need to count by ones. They don't have to pay for advertizing, because people practically knock each other down trying to get into the store.

How the manufacturers can make money selling these things for less than a dollar each is another issue entirely, and probably involves a great deal of moral and political scandal.

Lute


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A285527

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more