Foo Bar Foobar baz

2 Conversations


Sorry, no drinks


Metasyntax


After extensive research some of the early computer scientists came up with a list of words they used as place keeper in syntactic explanations. Backus-Naur
The research was needed to be sure these words could be used within any context and do not mean anything. These words mean nothing if used in the context of an example.


Using metasyntactic variables is not unlike the mathematical use of the variable x for an unknown value. This variable x is however also used in numerous other occasions where it does stand for a known value.


For unknown reasons metasyntactic variables are under cultural influence, depending on the (language)region the use will vary. That is to say the list of common used metasyntactic variables depends on where you are. Some of these metasyntactic variables have evolved to a near universal(on earth) standard.


MIT
Massachutes Institute of Technology

SU
Stanford University

CMU
CMUniversity

HUT
Helsinki University of Technology

Xerox PARC
PARC

RU
Rutgers University

CU
Cambridge University

Brittish

Berkeley

New Zealand

French

foo

corge

zxc

fred

shme

blarg

toto

bar

grault

spqr

barney

 

wibble

titi

baz

thud

zot

fum

flarp

wombat

 

 

 

tata

qux

grunt

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

tutu

quux

ack

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

quuux

barf

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

quuuux

gorp

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

bazola

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ztesch

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Besides these local used metasyntactic variables there is a global use of the list foo bar baz foobar foobaz garply waldo plugh xyzzy .


Etymology

  • foo

    Term of disgust (smiley - yuk)

    Perhaps used while to express the feeling of redundancy of the variable.

    Alternatively it can have been derived from the chinese word fu (as with the meaning: happiness).
  • bar

    Just put this stick in here, so we all know this is a place to put something.
  • foobar

    A possible source is the german word furchtbar (terrible) pronounced sloppy in english.
  • FOOBAR
    Filetransferprotocol Operation Over Big Address Records,
  • FUBAR
    F**ked Up Beyond All Repair, as some claim to be used by the army in WW2.
    Failed UniBus Address Register, as used in VAX manuals by Digital Equipment Corporation Engineering.

Anyway these words are used to denote a sample context without any real context in the sense of the use at all. So why bother where it comes from? They are supposed to have no meaning after all.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2841716

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more