A Conversation for The Prophet Mohammed

Just a few points...

Post 1

Kaeori

The article is succinct and covers the subject well.

Some points to note:

1. Of the 6 children of Muhammad and Khadijah, the two sons died in infancy, but all four daughters survived to adulthood. The first of his daughter to die was Fatimah, soon after Muhammad's death.

2. The mi'raj is dated about three years before Muhammad's flight to Madinah. (He was at first ridiculed by the Makkans about this claim.)

3. The Hajj is more than two months after Ramadan.

Even though the article is short, which is good, perhaps you could consider mentioning that the revelation he received is called the Qur'an (Koran), which is the holy book of Muslims; and the religion is called Islam (mentioned implicitly towards the end of the text), and the adherenets called Muslims (Noslems).

Also, that Muhammad claimed descent from Abraham through Ishmael, and is considered by Muslims as the last of God's (Allah's) prophets, beginning with Adam, and including Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus (which is why Islam is known as one of the three Abrahamic faiths).

Perhaps you might write an entry on Islam or the Qur'an?

Now I feel like reading some of yor other articles...


Just a few points...

Post 2

Mustapha

Thanks for the pointers. Much of the information came from Islamic websites, as well as half-remembered learnings from several years ago.

The dating of the mi'raj, I goofed, but the date of the Hadj always bothered me, as I searched through a number of sites but couldn't quite pin it down.

And you hit on my master plan! I am, as it happens, planning an Entry on Islam. That plan has somewhat shaped this entry, though. This Entry is meant to be strictly a biography piece on Mohammed, more explicit matters of the faith (various beliefs & sects, the Prophets or 'Reformers', and the 'People of the Book', etc) would be saved for the 2nd Entry.

Moslem vs Muslim - according to http://www.unn.ac.uk/societies/islamic/ either spelling seems to be acceptable, just as there are a number of different (European) spellings for Mohammed/Mohammad/Muhammad, hadj/hajj, Khadeeja/Khadijah, etc. However, since Muslim seems to be the preferred choice, so I might change that. smiley - smiley


Just a few points...

Post 3

Kaeori

Where do you find the time?

The spelling issue depends on various matters, like whether you come from an English-speaking (Hajj) or French-speaking (Hadj) background, or whether you have a special typeface.

Take the word 'Muslim' for example: the 's' must be pronounced as an 's', not like a 'z' (which we sometimes do in English). I'm thinking of doing an Arabic course soon, as my amateur research is finding this language a stumbling block.

On the timing of Hajj, the month of Ramadan is followed by Shawwal (the first day of which is Eid ul-Fitr), Dhul Qa'dah then Dhul Hijjah -- this last month is the month of Hajj. Hajj culminates on the 9th day of the month, with Eid ul-Adha on the following day.


A pleasant surprise!

Post 4

Muqtadee

The link to this article was tucked away right at the bottom of your home page - no wonder I missed it previously.

I admit I started reading with a certain trepidation. People write all sorts of strange things, sometimes designed to provoke a confrontational response (I've already seen such articles in h2g2).

I needn't have worried. Your article is very nicely crafted and to the point, written from a suitably objective viewpoint, without going into too much detail. And not a major factual blunder to be seen!

Let's hope the editors like it too.


A pleasant surprise!

Post 5

Mustapha

Thanks, Muqtadee. smiley - smiley A thumbs up from the Muslim community, (albeit a community of one, it seems) means a great deal.

Yes, I have seen a number of 'subjectively-written' Entries on the Guide. And I've seen, and been involved in, a number of 'lively' debates on the subjects of religion, science vs religion, etc. I belong to no particular camp, I merely like playing devil's advocate.smiley - smiley

If the editors like this one as much as they apparently did Attila the Hun (which I still can't get over, or stop telling people, has gone into the editorial process in 6-7 weeks), I should be away laughing.


A pleasant surprise!

Post 6

Kaeori

Can we vote for submissions we like?smiley - winkeye


A pleasant surprise!

Post 7

Mustapha

Depends. Do the candidates need a running mate? smiley - smiley


A pleasant surprise!

Post 8

Kaeori

No, but you'll need a campaign slogan, 'Vote for Mustapha' t-shirts, and a big, big budget.

And you'll have to do all the chat shows...smiley - winkeye


Removed

Post 9

Researcher 3705245

This post has been removed.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Prophet Mohammed

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more