A Conversation for Vegetarian Food For Meat-Eaters

Pretend meat

Post 21

Narapoia

I've never seen the point of trying to get non-meat to taste/feel like meat. I was veggie for 10+ years and never bothered with TVP/quorn. Tried quorn once and never again. I have lapsed, though - it was the bacon butties that did it - once free range/organic bacon became more widely available that was the first step on the slippery slope. But I eat meat twice, maybe 3 times a week as part of my main meal, and still very often cook veggie.
I love Indian stuff and don't miss meat in that at all. I do eat tofu and tempeh, but use them as a vehicle for other flavours as they are used in Japan and other countries, not in a vain attempt to get something to taste meaty.
smiley - sheep


Pretend meat

Post 22

Moonstalker

i found that a great meat substiute was actually the humble aubergene! i used it instead of the mince when making lasagne for some veggie friends and actually preferred it to mince.

in the arguement for/against not-meat meat, i have tried to cook veggie meat at guide camps and it either falls utterly to pieces immediately, or sticks to the pan and then falls apart when taking it out of the pan. the other one was trying to cook vegetable fingers (like fish fingers, just with vegetables instead of fish), they were utterly oblierated within seconds!

any suggestions for this apart from boiling it????


Pretend meat

Post 23

Spaceechik, Typomancer

One of the best "burgers" I have ever had was a huge portabello mushroom cap, basted with olive oil/balsamic vinegar and grilled over a charcoal barbie. Topped with a thick slice of onion and red pepper slices, also grilled.

It was SO good, just thinking about it is making my smiley - drool and I just finished dinner!

SC
Space-foodie


Pretend meat

Post 24

fords - number 1 all over heaven

The best way to fry veggie mince is to heat up your oil, then chuck it in the pot with enough boiling water to cover it. Cook it on a medium heat until the water's been absorbed. I chuck in a veggie stock cube too for extra flavour smiley - ok


Pretend meat

Post 25

Z

I think grilling it is the best way. I have to admit that I like fake meat, it tastes nice, it's quick and convientent and once I've covered a buger with cheese and mayonasie and chilli sauce you can't taste the burger.

Yes it's not meat it's a differnet product which is actually quite nice in it's own right.

Oh and grill it.


Pretend meat

Post 26

Z

Mind you I've never eaten meat.


Pretend meat

Post 27

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I've said it elsewhere and elsewhen here on another veggie thread, but fake meat can be very nice depending on who makes it. We have two companies here called Yves and Mo' Betta (I think that's how you spell the last one) who compete to create the best tasting varieties. As a late comer to vegetarianism I take comfort food very seriously and I've never been disappointed by either company. smiley - smiley The Mo' company even makes mock fish and steaks, all vegetarian although some are not vegan since they may contain cheese or egg extracts.
Anyway, anyone with an active lifestyle has enough trouble consuming enough easily digested protein in a convenient form if they ignore these products, IMHO.


Pretend meat

Post 28

Narapoia

Being a couch potato I wouldn't know!


Pretend meat

Post 29

greytfl3iii

I tried pretend salmon for the first time last night, and am happy to say it was quite good. I have only seen it a couple times so i guess it is kinda rare. The company that makes it is Veat (i think), it fries nicely and has some kind of nori wrap on it. As with almost all veganeat you don't really even need to cook it. (This may not be 100% accurate, check back with me in a few days) smiley - winkeye

Of the few places i have seen it, the Yosemite Valley General Store has it as well as many vegan friendly products. So in case you couldn't think of another reason to visit this amazing park, there's one.
smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post