Ibiza

2 Conversations

Ibiza is a place that seems to get a lot of bad press, on h2g2 as much as anywhere else. Most of which stems from the perception that the entire island of Ibiza is awash with drunken lads, fighting, with sick down their football shirts, from May until September. This is patently untrue, and I would like to point out some of the other facets of this amazing island.

Places

Ibiza Town is the capital of the island, with a harbour full of expensive yachts from all over the world and the winding cobbled streets of the old town. It is home to the island's gay community, and the vibe is cosmopolitan, tolerant and laid-back. There are loads of excellent bars and restaurants, and Pacha, the only night-club which is open year-round, is here too.

San Antonio is the place that gets all the headlines, it is a high-rise nightmare of a town, rammed full of small-minded, football top clad, drunken Brits, downing pints of lager in "Fun Pubs" and eating egg and chips. Don't go there*

* Unless you are going to Cafe Del Mar , see below.

Santa Eulalia is a more relaxed alternative to Ibiza Town. It too has a marina, although the beaches are fairly narrow. It tends to attract a more mature crowd, and seems to be most popular with Germans. Nina's restaurant by the harbour does an excellent (and surprising) range of fish.

Formentera isn't on Ibiza, rather it is one of the other Balearic Islands, and can be reached by ferry from Ibiza Town and Santa Eulalia. Probably not somewhere you would want to stay for the duration, but definitely worth a day-trip. It has some of the best beaches I have seen outside the Caribbean, and is small enough to cycle round in a day.

My recommendations for things to do would be:
Day-trip to Formentera
KM5 bar, on the road between Ibiza and San Antonio, to sit under the Bedouin style tents in the garden
Watch the sunset at Cafe Del Mar and have "un espiritual momento"

to be continued ........

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A277616

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more