A Conversation for Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World

Blackberries

Post 1

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

I have noticed there seems to be a large amount of blackberries this year. I haven't noticed many people people picking them though in this semi urban area so sadly perhaps making apple and blackberry pies is less popular than before, which is sad as children and mum making a pie together seems a part of childhood, or it used to be.
I did notice more people in countryside where I have just been for a weeks holiday picking blackberries though. Where I was there are a fair number of abandoned apple trees so free apples were available, which was great as I walked daily and they made a great free snack that I didn't have to carry with me. Also blackberries while on holiday and here make a great free food and drink on route.
I remember around a month ago while out birdwatching on a hot day I didn't bother to take a drink and as out longer than expected and blackberries made a good emergency drink.
I expect that in distant past great use was made of food available in wild to survive rather than my just not bothering to carry a drink from Sainbury's!
By the way although I didn't make a pie while on holiday I did use a lot of the free apples to make a kind of baked apple in the microwave.


Blackberries

Post 2

websailor

SS, those were the days. Children miss out on so much don't they?

Sorry I didn't come back to you sooner but I have not been able to get online for a few days, and wasn't able to do, or send an article in to smiley - thepost by the deadline!!

Fruit and berries seem plentiful this year, it's a shame the bees have dwindled so much. I wonder what next year's harvest will be like after such a strange year?

Websailor smiley - dragon


Blackberries

Post 3

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

I went back to the blackberry bushes yesterday and ate a few but literally thousands had rotted on the bushes!
Sorry you missed the Post deadline as I like reading your articles as it gives me something to think about.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more