A Conversation for The 77 Wonders of the Ancient World

Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 21

Noggin the Nog

And that damn dam is the Marib dam.

Isn't google wonderful smiley - smiley?

Noggin


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 22

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

How about the Spanish Armada
It may not have been successful but at the time it was the largest ever attempt at a maritime invasion, and must have been a sight to behold


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 23

clzoomer- a bit woobly

The most prominent structure of the Red Square, Cathedral of St. Basil the Blessed was built 1554–60. I'll attempt to find the ages of the other buildings.

As to the Dutch dams, one good example is Amsterdam which gets it's name from the Amstel River which had a sluice dam originally built c.1240. The rest are dated as early as the mid 12th century or even earlier. The problem is that if someone was to throw up a pile of dirt and rock to protect their farm it was technically a dam so the ages are hard to set.


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 24

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Wow, seeing "The Terracotta Army of Qin Shihuangdi" in print is a bit daunting!

In regard to the age of the Red Square, a bit of a cut and paste for you:

"Inseparably linked to all of the most important historical and political events in Russia since the 13th century, the Kremlin, built between the 14th and 17th centuries by outstanding Russian and foreign architects, was the residence of the Great Prince and a religious centre. At the foot of its ramparts, on Red Square, the Saint Basil Basilica is one of the most beautiful monuments of Russian Orthodox art."

I'm also wondering if there is still an ancient dam still in existance somewhere. It would be logical since dams are not that difficult to build and could survive millenia. Just wondering. smiley - smiley


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 25

Lemon Blossom (aka Athena Albatross)

Sorry it's been so long--homework is life for two more weeks. Shikata ga nai.

<>

Good one--I'll add it to miscellenious.


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 26

Lemon Blossom (aka Athena Albatross)

<>

<>

Maybe trying to sort into catagries is unnecesary. I'll think about it. As for the Silk Road, what does everyone else here think? I think it could be listed as a system.


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 27

Lemon Blossom (aka Athena Albatross)

I added the Kremelin and the Dutch Dikes.


The Marib Dam is 20th century (unless there's an older one I didn't find out about--in that case let me know), so it doesn't qualify.


As for ancient dams, there ought to be some. Also, the ancient Egyptians apparently started the Suez Canal--I don't know how much they dug, but that might qualify.

Speaking of Google, this is hard to believe, but apparently the younger brother of Sergey Brin (one of the co-founders of Google) goes to my high school. Weird. Especially as it's a public high school in a not-very-good school system.


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 28

Lemon Blossom (aka Athena Albatross)

Equally interestingly, Sergey apparently also went there.


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 29

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

The ancient Suez canal defnitely existed as one of the Persian kings ordered it restored. I don't suppose it could take oil tankers but given the technology just as remarkable.


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 30

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

Google, wonder of the modern world smiley - winkeye.


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 31

Noggin the Nog

I'll check that dam again. There certainly was an older one, but maybe I've got the wrong name.

The Egyptian canal joined the Nile and the Red Sea. It was supposedly started by Ramses II and finished by Darius the Persian, IIRC.

Noggin


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 32

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

presume this would come under structures.
I'd like to suggest the Amber Room, which was once discribed as the 8th Wonder of the World. Built for Frederick I of Prussia, given to Peter the Great, looted by the Germans in WWII and not seen since.


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 33

clzoomer- a bit woobly

How about the statues (Moai) of Easter Island (Rapa Nui)? At 14 tonnes they should qualify!


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 34

Lemon Blossom (aka Athena Albatross)

Thanks.

Sorry I've been off the guide for a while; it was finals week for the last two weeks.

Finally, 11th grade is over. Free at last...


Isn't it Wonderful?

Post 35

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

The Mausoleum of Mausolus is actually a redundant phrase. As pointed out earlier, the correct nomenclature is The Tomb of Mausolus. It is from this structure and Mausolus' name that we get the word "mausoleum." Mausoleum of Mausolus is like saying Germanic Empire of Germans.


Key: Complain about this post